This Disappears When Logged In

I Want to Hear from All Kinds of Breeders!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aromatherapykim, May 27, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Hi everyone! So I'm curious to know more about the different breeders out there so I just want to throw out a smorgasbord of questions.
    What do you breed? Multiple reptiles?
    How many reptiles do you have in all?
    How many are just pets vs breeders?
    How did you first get into breeding?
    On what scale do you breed? Do you just do it as a hobby, extra cash, it's your full time job?
    What is the easiest and hardest animal you've bred?
    How many projects do you have going on now?
    Do you also breed and sell feeders? If so which?
    Do you sell any non live products as well?
    Any thing else you want to share about breeding expierences!
    Thanks for entertaining my questions y'all!

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

What do you breed? Multiple reptiles?
    Currently I am working on Emerald Swifts. Only one species are being worked on.
    How many reptiles do you have in all?
    1:1 Emerald Swift, 0:1 Western (coastal) Swift.
    How many are just pets vs breeders?
    All are pets at this time as I have not settled on a breeding program for sale.
    How did you first get into breeding?
    The joy of proper husbandry is watching your charges act as nature intended. Plus I feel that if more people bread Sceloporus lizards than maybe less will be pulled from the wild.
    On what scale do you breed? Do you just do it as a hobby, extra cash, it's your full time job?
    Hobby and education at this time.
    What is the easiest and hardest animal you've bred?
    Kenyan Sand Boas easiest, and frigging Emeralds are the hardest to date...
    How many projects do you have going on now?
    This year I only have the one, next year I will add Western Swift when a suitable male is captured.
    Do you also breed and sell feeders? If so which?
    Years ago I bread mice to keep up with my KSB’s
    Do you sell any non live products as well?
    Working on selling Photography of Pet Reptiles locally.
    Any thing else you want to share about breeding expierences!
    Breeding is a double edged sword. The more you breed the less interaction you have on an individual basis. Your charges rapidly become “product” and that is never good for the long term health of the animal. As long as the all mighty dollar doesn’t take over the program you have a decent chance of not becoming a (fill in the blank) mill.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, I'm just getting started so my input will be limited. I'm currently working with ball pythons and ackie monitors, and I do have a pair of bearded dragons, though I'm not actively trying to breed the beardies right now. All together I have about 60 reptiles, and I consider them pets for the most part. Interaction time does go down a lot with so many though. I also breed rats, African soft furs, and dubia roaches, none of which I sell, mostly due to the simple fact no one around my area seems to want any. For me this is just a hobby that has the potential to pay for itself, which would be a first for me and isn't necessarily required. I got into breeding because after nearly 20 years of keeping reptiles it just seemed to be the next logical step. Plus I now have a place to live that is stable and enough disposable income to be able to afford to not make money at this. I don't sell anything yet, but I was considering selling caging and rodent racks that I build, but my regular job doesn't really leave me the time to build cages for my own critters, much less to sell.