This Disappears When Logged In

I Want a Garter Snake!!!

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by Nieneve, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nieneve

Nieneve Member

Hey all I'm new and am looking for info on garter snakes I read alot about them and it seems like an easy pet to care for. I'm in college and don't want anything high maintainance but I want a pet that will travel well and live for a while. I'm always looking for new info and color morphs! My fave is the crimson or flame they are SO CUTE!!! Snake eyes are flat on top and remind me of my parents cat! lol Any info is much appreciated thanks!

2. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

They are more maintenance then other snakes such as a corn or a ball but still way less than any rodent and live way longer. Also no gold fish, they are bad for them. Switching them onto rodents when they get bigger is also probably the healthiest and cheapest route to go in the long run.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since you have no experience with snakes I would suggest looking at a cornsnake. They are simpler to house and maintain.
    And they will also be less nervous than the garters.

4. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

I have a garter, and she is simply wonderful. You should check out Scott Felzers site. I think its albinogarter.com ? Anyway, he has lots of info on caring for and purchasing garters. He breeds tons of color phases and is very nice and helpful. I really enjoy my snake, my 4yr old son plays with her and she is soooo sweet. Do your homework, and definitely consider one. :)

5. Nieneve

Nieneve Member

Thanks ... I don't think I could ever feed a snake rodents! I have a pet naked rat named Manga and I would fall in love with my snake food and my snake would starve ... Can garter snakes live on just fish? not goldfish right cause they have a chemical that destoys b1?

6. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

First of all, welcome aboard! Garter Snakes do very well in the wild eating small frogs, worms, grubs, etc. You can get frozen pinkies, and not have to worry about feeding live food or growing attached to the food source. This is one area that you may have to overcome if you intend to keep reptiles as pets. It's what they do in the wild, ie; keeping the rodent population in check!

7. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

My garter absolutely loves to eat nightcrawlers. Most stores that carry fishing supplies have them and they are cheap. Bait shops carry minnows too, ask for farm raised ones as a safe guard against parasites. Lots of pet shops carry feeder guppies that are ok for your snake. I know that you can also feed your snake fish filet! Our snake eats strips of tilapia and trout :)

8. Nieneve

Nieneve Member

I think I can do a frozen pinkie my sister really hates worms so she'll be happy to know they eat them! I heard they like to hunt for fish so you should feed them live in a large water dish but have a seperate one for drinking?

9. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

I put the fish in a little dish or on a bare floor, a plastic shoe box makes a great place to feed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.