This Disappears When Logged In

I Thought I Was Ready for a Retic Till.....

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by dawgy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. dawgy

dawgy Member

i have been dreaming of owning a retic for year's and actually my wife was going to buy me one for my birthday that's coming up..i thought i was all set and was finally going to have my retic....then i joined this site and started reading more and more about them and different people's experiences with them and all the advice member's that own one had given......and i realized that i am just not knowledgeable enough..or experienced enough to own my own retic which is really a heartbreaking realization. the biggest snake i have owned is my female redtail she is 10'long and my baby never even hissed at me.but i guess i really need more experience.. all i've ever seen was people with their retic's holding them,sitting with them etc. i never really thought of the other side the darker side of owning a giant snake..i guess i'll just ask for some Lego's for my birthday ...anyway thank you for reading this...and thank's to all of you for you're advice in the forums.
    dawgy

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hey, better to find out now instead of when you realize you are being overpowered by a great BIG snake!!! Experience is really key, and I'm sure you'll be able to get that experience with time... Who knows what the future may bring! I'm sure other members can give you the advice to get yourself to where you feel as prepared as possible! And until then..research, research, research!

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Kudos for recognizing that ownership is more than "I want." There are so many beautiful herps to fill your life and I am sure you can find the right one for you.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Like previously mentioned, its good that you realize it now and not after getting one. Doing your research is so important, no matter how big or how small a reptile is. They are all different and special in their own way and you will find that special one that is just for you.

5. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

Retics are the Ferrari of the snake world, which means they have positive and negative valances.

Here is how large my Female Tiger got in 13 months on a 7 day feeding schedule.

IMGA0612.jpg

And here is her in December 2010
    P1000437.jpg

Attached Files:

6. mld

how big was she when you got her? They must grow very fast!

Attached Files:

7. boaterr

She was around 2 feet and a month old when I got her. She was fed Rabbits her whole life, it is not uncommon for a Retic to reach 8-10+feet in their first year. Also Tiger Morph Retics often become very large Retics, their bloodline contain some of the largest Retics in the world

8. mld

I'll just admire your pictures!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its one of the signs of wisdom and maturity to be able to recognize that you aren't capable of dealing with an animal no matter how badly you want one.

I wish more people had yours.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Nothing wrong with legos either ;)

11. jakester

jakester Well-Known Member

Well a redtail is not bad for me. Especially becaues my mom is terrified of my 10 inch kenyan sand boa.;)

12. GeckoGod

GeckoGod Active Member

Boater what size rabbits did you feed her when she was young, do you breed your own?

13. boaterr

She still eats rabbits now, I have always giving her a prey item large enough to leave a noticeable lump. I get my Rabbits from Rodent Pro.

14. warneri

warneri Elite Member

hey boaterr is youraccount tigerretic? or something similar, i saw a couple of tigerretics vids and the carpet, hallways and of course your retic all look really similar

15. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Legos ROCK! Ok besides that note. I wish I was able to have done what you have. I bought mine with a little knowledge, he got to big and I had to sell him. Luckily I had some one that wanted him.

If you love retics because of their pattern, look into the the super dwarfs. They are some mighty fine snakes. Get only about 6 to 10 ft and stay small in diameter.

16. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i had the pleasure of handleing a super dwarf, still very beautiful and not quite the hand full, if i ever get a retic i think thats the route ill go, from what the owner told me they are still way unpredictable, so watch where the head is for sure, good luck and good thinking

17. boaterr

Yep thats me.

18. Rob

Rob Elite Member

There is so many dwarfs out there and the price is really droping down on the normal/wild type dwarfs. Although looking for a dwarf can be kinda of confusing with all of the percents. They also can be a handful though.

19. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yeah, if I was going to get another snake that is what I would get. Rob is right, it is confusing on the percents.

20. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

It is SO good to hear someone say this! You are one in a million my friend and you should actually be pretty proud of yourself. Giants are my life but that hasn't always been true. It took many years of experience before I felt comfortable bringing them into my home but now my 15 foot tiger retic is my favorite snake I own. My recommendation to you is to look into a local herp society and chances are you will find someone there that keeps a giant and will let you get some experience being around theirs. There is just so much to think about when keeping them that even though you have had snakes before, you won't think about because they are so dangerous. Think about it, you are talking about bringing a deadly animal into your home. I wish you live close to me because I would be more than willing to bring someone like yourself in as an apprentice of sorts. Continue to ask questions a learn but keep in mind that all the research in the world will not account for hands on experience learning from someone that has done it for years. Best of luck to you and if you have any questions or just want to talk giants, let me know.