This Disappears When Logged In

I Saw The Loch Ness Monster!!!

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by smallgrayfox, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Good grief! The Loch Ness Monster has moved to Tallahassee, Florida! :eek: Look!!!! I took this picture of her today!!!

[​IMG]

Ok, ok, so it's not really the Loch Ness Monster ...but who knew that soft shelled turtles could stick their necks out that far!!!! WOW! We were very surprised when she did that...

I found her staggering in circles in the middle of a hot and busy roadway today on the way to the grocery store (I'm glad I found her before she got run over!), and she was kind of dry and very hot...I brought her home and misted her well with water treated with Reptisafe, put her in our 10 gallon tank, and then got my husband to help me release her at Lake Jackson....

Here she is in the 10 gallon tank on the way to the lake:
    [​IMG]

Here she is with my husband holding her just before we released her so you can see her size (check out the expression on her face!):
    [​IMG]

She stuck her neck waaaaaaaaaaaaay out after we put her down and surveyed the area for about 5 full minutes...then with a soft sploosh and a swoosh, she swam off in her new home:
    [​IMG]

Cool looking critter, isn't she? :cool:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome Juliane. You take some of the best pics. She looks happy to be cruising through the water. Thanks again for sharing.

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Cool pics :) Somehow I always thought Nessie would be bigger than that :p

4. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

WOW,great pics!Thanks!! :)

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

great pic,,,thanks for sharing !!!!!

6. smallgrayfox

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures :)

Me too! :p

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow those are great pics. the first pic makes her look like some sort of dinosaur! i never knew they could stick their necks out that far either! wow! :D

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL What you didn't take into consideration was she was out on a dry roadway. She was severely dehydrated! :eek:
    You know just add water for instant...
    :D

9. smallgrayfox

Right, Merlin! Just add water and it grows to more than 600 times its original size! Instant Nessie !!! :D

My son loves those little toys that do that...

10. Hey!

:rolleyes:
    Hey don't steal our European Loch Ness monster! Still in Scotland, I bet! Lol! :D
    I should made a detour to be sure...Heu!...

They are all right: great pics! Especially your husband ' hands one! Hehe! :p

What a surprise to see such neck! She really looks strange (and not reassured!) like this...poor little one! :(

Nessie is bigger yes but could it be its progeniture? :confused:
    And don't forget to tell your son she's not this kind of toy that can grow like this! lol! mdr! ;)

11. smallgrayfox

Yes, and when I first picked her up off of the hot roadway, she was so frightened she literally jumped straight up...pretty high too, I wouldn't have thought a turtle could jump that high :)

She was very scared until we put her in the water, and she finally decided that we weren't going to eat her for lunch after all :rolleyes:

12. cannonsunl

cannonsunl New Member

same thing happens near my house regularly. We have a pond and a creek and the softshells seem to cross between them on the road regularly. Also, a poor beaver got hit crossing in the same place. I didn't think beaver would be in the middle of town like that. Anyone know what type of soft shell would be in Nebraska. They have the same long neck but smoother looking carapace than that in photos. (The last one I got off the road thanked me by peeing on my sandles, no good deed goes un rewarded)

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

In Nebraska you would find western spiny softshells (Apalone spinefera hartwegi) and midland smooth softshells (Apalone mutica mutica).

14. smallgrayfox

They do have unique ways of saying "thank you", don't they? :D :rolleyes:

15. geckoguykc

geckoguykc Elite Member

dont tell any fisherman you saved a softshell lol! around here if somone catches one they cut its head off! its nasty! and cruel! but it sure doesnt hurt the population still got a river full of midland smooth softshells

16. smallgrayfox

That's horrible! :( Why do they do that? Are softshells a threat to fishermen somehow? :confused:

17. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Awww

Who knew that loch ness would be so cute! :D lol

18. geckoguykc

geckoguykc Elite Member

they put out traps for catfish then find a softshell in it with a half-eaten catfish, you do the math, its sad that they are prosecuted for eating their natural prey

19. Allecto

Allecto Elite Member

Looks like she's trying to pass herself off as a swan in that first pic. Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm glad you found her and were able to help her out!

20. smallgrayfox

I'm glad we found her too! She was really cool. :)

geckoguykc, that's just horrible :( People can be so mean! :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.