This Disappears When Logged In

I Really Need Help

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by morkie, Apr 21, 2017.

1. morkie

morkie New Member

I bought a juvenile veiled chameleon off of craigslist yesterday. I know i know, most people will say that's a big mistake. i don't think it is. because with the condition she's in now, i think i might be her last hope at living.

Anyway, i just have some questions. First of all, she won't eat and will just barely drink on her own. She's very skinny and very dehydrated. Ive been trying to get her to drink by long ongoing misting, but it's barely worked. so i started giving water to her through a syringe.

First question, how often should i do that? She's still pretty little.

Second, i've been trying to get her to eat but that's not quite working either. i got an appetite booster powder that you mix with water and syringe feed to them, so i've been trying to give her some of that too, but she. wry clearly hates it. she barely has any energy, but she uses it to back away from it and walk away. i also was able to get a small cricket in her mouth but she just won't swallow the damn thing.

should i just stick with the appetite booster for now or should i try more insects? i have a few small crickets, some mealworms or varying sizes, and wax worms that i bought to help fatten her up.

next, she seems to have a very orange runny poop. i just cleaned her cage today because it was disgusting the way the guy left it, and it seems she left a very very loose poop on a leaf. it honestly has the consistency of baby food. i've heard that the color means they're dehydrated, but wouldn't the runniness mean she has extra water in her now? i also have some clear unflavored pedialyte i've been trying to give her as well.

i've been misting the cage as often as possible and she has a good source of heat now (the man that had her didn't have a basking light, just one of those infra red night bulbs and a uvb).

is there anything else i can do? any advice? i'm so worried that she's not going to make it. she's a very pale yellow color, she's super skinny, and her eyes are sunken in from dehydration (although this picture was from last night, her eyes do look a tiny bit better now)

Attached Files:

2. Melissa81407

Melissa81407 New Member

How is she doing? Sorry I can not give you any advice.

3. morkie

morkie New Member

she's not doing much better but also not worse. that gives me a little hope. i just saw her open her mouth on her own for the first time since i brought her home. i spoke with a "reptile expert" last night who recommended water and pedialyte baths to hydrate her which i've been doing twice a day, and trying to get some chicken baby food in her along with the reptiboost. i'm hoping i can save this little girl

4. Melissa81407

Melissa81407 New Member

She is lucky you saved her. Im sending positive thoughts your way. Keep me updated.

morkie likes this.
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not sure what you are calling a reptile expert but their advice is invalid.

Soaking does nothing to hydrate the animal unless they are actively drinking the water.

murrindindi likes this.
  6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I agree with Merlin that bathing will not rehydrate the lizard unless it voluntarily drinks the water, the forced bathing and feeding will also cause much stress to an animal whose immune system is already compromised. I understand your concerns but would recommend you leave the lizard alone for now.
    Can you give details of the conditions and show a few photos of the whole enclosure? Thanks!