This Disappears When Logged In

I Need to Work on My Self Control...

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Thalatte, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Found an add on Craigslist for a "mostly desert tortoise" naturally I wanted to see a picture. It did not resemble any desert tortoise I am familiar with and the owner didn't have any idea what it was. Several people suggested it was a Texas tortoise (gooherous belanderi [spelling?]). Well I called my sister(she lives in Phoenix near the old owner) and had her pick him up so now I have yet another tortoise of unknown health that I can't give away to any one due to legal ramifications of ownin any tort in the gooherous family...hurray?

So lets see:
    When posting a question about your reptile please include the following:

· How long have you owned the animal?
    Sister has had him 2days.

· What is the enclosure size?
    20g long dimensions are 30x12x12 I think.

· What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)?
    Sand of some sort (came with the tank and will be changed when I get him)

· What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? (UVB and Basking)
    Nothing. He has an under tank heater for the night on a rheostat and is outside for 4-5hours durig the hottest part of the day.

· What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured?
    Uth keeps one side at 90 and other side is at 78. Infrared temp gun.

· What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured?
    Hasn't been measured yet.

· What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal?
    It has some dry tortoise pellets that are added to water and some spring mix.

· What exactly are you concerned about?
    What kind of tortoise is it? I have no idea what it requires without knowing its species.

· Please provide images of the animal as well as the enclosure if possible.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks rich this was much easier!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

3. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

Good thing he is coming to you, that's some nasty pyramiding going on there.

4. annaliese

annaliese Member

good luck! Good thing someone who wants to give him the proper care is getting him! thats why people should not take reptiles out of their natural environment if they can't give them the proper care.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Guess I should update the thread huh?
    His name is Bane and he is a pure Sonoran desert tortoise. He was severely underweight and had worms. Within the first week he gained 130 grams but since then hasn't gained anything. The worms are gone and he eats his pelleted mazuri mix with relish. So now the only issues I have with him is that he doesn't like fresh produce, weeds, or grasses. Also he is still underweight and is a complete butt head. He has attacked the dogs and any other animals he is with.
    Other than that he is slowly improving and his shell is turning back to the natural brown.

6. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

Have you tried flowers with him? The torts I worked with would do anything for a hibiscus, rose or daylily flowers.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Tried hibiscus rose and clover blossoms and he doesn't care for them much. He will nibble on collard but doesn't eat much as he waits till evening when he gets his mush to eat.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Here are more recent photos. Ignore the sand substrate. I was trying to do a natural setup so I grabbed dirt from regions the sonorans live but I didn't like it so I removed it the next day. He is currently in a tank but I am making an 8x3 drawer for him to stay in until the seeds planted in his outside enclosure grow more. Right now I have some small sprouts so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Bane Photos by 11Tiamat13 | Photobucket

9. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

Picky little bugger ain't he! Maybe you could hide the greens in his mush if you put them through a food processor first.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes and I wouldn't mind so much if the mush was just the mazuri but NO!!! He was raised on rep-cal tortoise diet which has fruit in it and smells sickeningly sweet so now I am trying to wean him off the repcal and onto mazuri only while still trying to get him to eat fresh stuff! It makes feeding times fun.
    So I have tried a variety of things including placing him in with my other Sonoran thinking "the only way puck eats is when she has a friend so maybe he is the same" but nope all that I learned from that is that he is a little tortoise with a huge attitude.
    At first they were fine- dozed immediately went to sleep and bane cruised around exploring. Then next time I look in on them he was on top of dozed with his feet dangling in the air and smacking her with his head. So I moved him and he immediately went up to her and started ramming her. Needless to say she was removed and now he is all alone and banned from ever being with the other torts in the communal exercise area.

11. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

I worked with a young sulcatta like that. He was all of a foot long but would chase us to ram our legs. Our big sulcatta 100+lb was the mellowest of gentlemen. Put them together and the little guy would bully the big one. I do have to admit I love the attitude.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It is a change from dozer who just lays in one spot all day doing nothing to bane who will chase down and attack anything that moves.