This Disappears When Logged In

I Need to Dry Out a Tank, Without Drying It Out

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by schlegelbagel, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I know, makes no sense whatsoever.

I have a drainage layer in my RETF tank. I just noticed the other day, its fully up with water. I don't think its probably very good for the plants. In fact, I have one I can tell is rotting at the bottom and I'll probably lose it soon.

So far I have stuck in a few extra pothos cuttings, in hope they help drink it up. I have also poked a few holes into the dirt, in the hopes the water evaporates out.

My only other ideas is to put an under the tank heater on the bottom. I would hope it would cause the water to warm up and evaporate better. I can't dry it out with the lights, or I'll fry the frogs. So everything needs to stay moist.

I have no drain in the bottom and wouldn't know about how to put one in without shattering the tank.

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: I Need to Dry Out a Tank, Without Drying It Ou

What about a python siphon? Dig a hole just big enough for the tubing and cover the end of the tubing with a fine mesh to keep from drawing up a bunch of debris...

3. schlegelbagel

I have a siphon. The problem is there is not only dirt to dig out, but rocks too. That would disturb a whole lot of plants. I have thought about it and if I can't come up with anything else, I'll give it a whirl. I'll just have to remove the inhabitants for a day or two.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I wouldn't try and drill a hole. It's tricky enough with an empty tank.

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Small 80mm fan?

6. schlegelbagel

Is that a computer fan?

7. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yes, you can get them with a normal plug on them.

8. schlegelbagel

Alright, I realized the soil is just too solid for water to escape. I took Shell's idea, dug down to the drainage layer and used my water powered siphon to drain it. I think I pulled somewhere between 2 and 3 gallons out, maybe more. It was 4" deep. Now It's 1" deep.

I then added a few earth worms to get the soil aerated.

THEN, I added sort of a reverse drain. I put in a 2" PVC pipe with a drain top to it, and stuck it down into the substrate. This will give an outlet for the underlayer to evaporate. I then stuck the heat pad at the spot the drain is. Hopefully this will help the last inch of water take care of itself.

Here are photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all of them were ticked they got moved for about an hour!
    [​IMG]

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Try sticking a piece of rope or towel down into the water to wick it out. If you make it long enough to go out of the tank and the end of it below the level of the tank bottom it will actually act like a siphon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.