This Disappears When Logged In

I Need Help

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by MyJake, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyJake

MyJake Member

Yes, he is in the bigger tank now. He was very active last night...I was watching him for awhile before I fell asleep. He seems to be alot happier too...is that possible? Anyway, I also wanted to know if they tend to get bored? Can 2 boas be house together?

2. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Im no pro here, but two Boas Can be housed together, but im not sure it's always the best idea, definitly not the ideal situation. Ill let someone with more snake experience chime in there, as for happier in a larger tank, definitly, i noticed a huge increase in overall mood with my skink when he was moved to his bigger tank. as for getting bored, in the wild he would spend time alternating between, looking for food, trying to not be somethings food, and basking. You may be able to find ways to keep him more active, i give my skink and gecko things to climb on and explore, but your snake is probaly content to just chill out, but like i said, im no snake expert. Its good to hear he's settling in, and im glad to hear you got him more space.

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

you are asking for trouble by housing two snakes together. Snakes are solitary creatures and have no need for each other unless it is breeding time. I got two boas in as rescue that were housed together, the guy insisted that they just loved each other. They both had bite wounds on them from biting each other. One more than the other. I would not risk it if I was you.

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

while rosys are very docile and can be housed together, i see no reason to do so unless you plan on breeding. no, snakes do not get so bored that they require a "friend" in their tank with them. like nicole said, they are more solitary and could care less.

plus its much harder to monitor who is pooping and who is shedding when there are more than one snake in an enclosure. also, if one gets ill or has a parasite, its so much easier to pass it on to a cage mate. you also run the risk of if you get a male and female, early breeding attempts before they are ready, causing stress or problems with them.

i'm sure he is happier in a bigger enclosure away from all the traffic and high stress situations. he'll use his time to calm down and get used to his new surroundings so just let him do so.

5. MyJake

MyJake Member

Thank you ladies and gents...I went out yesterday and bought a baby albino corn. He/she is the cutest thing ever! I can't wait till it gets bigger. The corn is in the 30 gallon and the rosy is in the 20 gallon... They were just fed today...I so I guess...No playing for awhile again...that sucks! I also went and bought a freaken Military Macaw last night! That's a whole different story! Darn thing bit me 4Xs!

6. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

ouch, those macaws bite hard too.

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

ahhh, my hubby wants a macaw so bad, I know I will end up with one sooner or later, ughh,, i will train it to love me and hate him, lol

8. DarkMagician207

you shouldn't play with the baby corn anyway for about a week. like the rosy, you need to give the corn time to settle in and adjust. plus now that you fed the baby corn it will need additional time because the stress of moving then eating might take a little longer for it to adjust since its so young.

your bird probably needs to settle in as well. especially if they're scared they will bite and it hurts.

9. MyJake

MyJake Member

Say bye to the Macaw! My son stuck his hand in the cage this morning and he bit him so bad it peirced thru his index finger. I was putting laundry away when that happenned. Blood poured out everywhere...that is enough of that. i would work with him otherwise.

The corn and rosy is doing great! The corn was swimming in the bowl of water last night. It was a sallow dish...so it won't drown...LOL

10. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

thats too bad abut the macaw, but it could of been worse, ive heard of full grown adult macaws breaking bones. im not so sure about the type your talking about, but i believe many macaws can crack walnuts with there beak, very cool birds, but very much hands off without extensive work with the bird, i wouldnt really consider it a child safe bird. its good to hear the snakes are doing well, im sure the'll provide alot of entertainment for you and your family.

11. DarkMagician207

its better that you got rid of the bird. they take alot of work especially if they are not used to being around children, plus the fact that it was probably frightened and your son sticking his hand in the cage probably made it worse. birds need time to adjust to a new environment just like any other animal and should not be bothered other than giving food and water. i hope someone else will have the time to take care of its needs. they are capable of putting tremendous amounts of pressure on things, their beaks are incredibly strong and can do serious damage. they are not the type of bird to get into lightly without doing a ton of research.

good luck with the corn and rosy. hope they're settling in well. even if the dish wasn't shallow the snake would not drown unless there was something wrong with it. when mine curl up in their dishes they usually have their noses poking out or come up for air every now and then.

12. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Birds and reptiles. :) Not exactly the best with kids, unless the kids really have a good understanding of how to deal with them. Sometimes it's best to start with one or two pets and let the kids get used to those first. The corn will be great for this. Once the kids understand that these animals are different from dogs or cats, and need special handling, they be able to get along with all kinds of things. :) You may even be able to try another macaw some time in the future.

Hope everything goes well. Once your rosy and corn get used to their new home, you'll have a couple of really wonderful pets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.