This Disappears When Logged In

I Need Help

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by MyJake, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyJake

MyJake Member

I don't know why he keeps trying to bite me? I just got him and one day I openned up the screen to get him...He knew i was there. he just bit me! Should I be getting him from behind? He seems to be very jittery...The girl I got him from said he was handled alot and are used getting handle and has never biten. I am thinking otherwise... Today, I put his water bowl in for him and he tried to bite me again! What am I doing wrong?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How long have you owned him?

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i recently replied to a message you sent me about this so definitely answer some quetions.

how long have you had him? what is your enclosure set up like (temps, etc)? what do you feed him and how often?

if you haven't had him for that long i would say he's stressed and still getting used to environment changes. also, is he in a room of your house that has alot of activity going on? that might scare him if he's not settled in.

4. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

And he may have been fed in his cage all this time. If that's the case, he may associate hand coming in the cage with food.

5. MyJake

MyJake Member

I have had him for only 3 days and yes, he is in the living room and kids do run around! His set up right now is in sand substrates w/ a low branch and a rock. He also has a pop tart box in there for hiding. I am not sure what the temp is right now because I haven't gone to a pet store yet. I do have a heat lamp on one side of the tank(10 gallon). He is not fully grown yet...I think he has another foot to go. I keep my house warm...around 76 F. This is really Ghetto, but I have a iron on the side of the tank in low heat for warmth until I can get a heat pad this weekend. I talked to the girl that had him before and she said to leave him be for 3 days and try again. He is being fed 1 every 10 days...he just ate sunday night. He is eating frozen/thawed mice. With the iron thing...LOL...he seems to love it. He is always over in that corner. I turn it on at night and turn it off in the afternoon. I just started the iron thing last night...

6. MyJake

MyJake Member

No...he is being feed in a seperate container...that is the weird thing about it. He may just be stressed.:(

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I would say that being so new to his surroundings that he's just settling in and a bit jumpy. Let him adjust for at least a week before trying to handle him....let him slowly get used to you entering HIS environment by changing his water, spot cleaning his tank,,,,etc.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

what they said. welcome~

9. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

if he's on one side of the tank all the time i would say the tank's ambient air temp should be a bit higher, he should be regulating his temps, also im not sure what snake your talking about, but a 10 seems a bit cramped, not to mention its tough to make a decent thermogradient in a 10. As for biting, i agree probaly just a bit stressed. I would let him calm down, give him time, as for your approach to handling him, the idea is that he shouldn't see you as a threat or food, so trying to trick him by grabbing from behind in my opinion is not the best idea.

10. Jackie1965

Jackie1965 Member

When I get a new pet and they seem stressed out or aggressive, I try to put them in a quite place, only checking on the temp, water and cleanliness of the cage. I even go without feeding them for a couple of weeks, unless they are a very very young snake.

When they bite me I use cold running water and they let go. I have a Rosy that just latches on and wont let go. The cold water gets them to let go. I never use hot water or any type of alcohol.

I bet the little guy is comepletey stressed out. I would also watch him very closely and keep records, he may be trying to communicate something with you. I always accept my just the way they are.

Also try genlty putting a cloth over him when picking him up or using gloves. That works for me when I am working with them in the beggining.

Glad to see he is eating in a seperate container since he has substrate as not to cause obstruction and frozen thawed.

Hope things work out. Just remember, to listen to thier communication.

11. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

My rosy is head shy. The only time she ever strikes at me is if my hand smells like her prey or I touch her to close to her head. I'll bet your guy is just stressed out right now, but you might also try touching him away from his head. I also touch my girl gently with my finger tips to let her know I'm there and about to pick her up. This way I don't surprise her by just reaching in and grabbing her.

Good luck!
    ~Becky J

12. DarkMagician207

if you are able to, please move him to a quieter room. rosys can be shy and having a room with high traffic such as kids running around can scare them and stress them out, especially if you've only had him for a short time. you should not even think about handling him at this point.

also, please make sure you get an under the tank heater and thermometers. temperature is important to these guys because they do not tolerate cold temperatures well. 76 degrees is too low. you want the warm side to be up to about 80 degrees. sometimes it can go as high as 84 but try not to let it get too much higher than that, its too hot. i would add more hides if i were you. put a hide on the warm side and on the cool side so he won't be picking security over regulating his body temperatures.

do not feed him for about a week. he needs time to adjust and i think having kids running around in his room all the time may make it difficult for him to do so. also, please do not handle him. let him get used to his environment first before you even start to handle him. by handling him when he's not adjusted, you are prolonging the time it will take for him to adjust and further stress him out. i know it probably seems like alot to do but he may be biting because he is afraid and as an owner, you want to do the best you can to make him feel secure and safe.

my rosy hid for the first week or so before he started getting more used to his environment. in the 3+ years i've had him, i've come to learn his temperment and he has settled down quite well.

please get the supplies you need, it is important for him. also, only offer him water 2-3 days a week. these guys do not like high humidity and do not require access to water every day.

13. MyJake

MyJake Member

I will pick up his supplies today since I'm heading to Va. beach anyway. And I will clean out my 30 gallon today and put him in a bigger tank(or do you think he should just stay in the 10 gallon for now?) I was also wondering if he needs uvb? If so I will also pic one up...what type of heat pads should I get? I will also find a place more queit in the house...the only prob is the warmest place in the house is the living room! Hmmm...I'll figure something out. Please let me know if I should put him in the 30 gallon or should I leave him alone inthe 10 for now.

14. DarkMagician207

you can move him over the 30 gallon. you might as well do it now while you are getting everything together instead of stressing him out later on with another move to a different tank. my rosy is in a 20 long enclosure and it suits him just fine. they do not get huge, they are one of the smallest types of boas, only reaching 2 1/2 to 3 feet max. my guy is about 6 years old and just over 2 feet long.

when you go to the store you will see under the tank heaters in different sizes. it goes by enclosure size. mine is a size for a 20 or 30 gallon. get the one that is closest to the size of your enclosure. also, you do not want to put it inside the tank, you want to put it under the bottom on one side only, this will be the warm side. if you have a light, you want to put the heat pad under the tank on the same side. make sure you have the tank propped up on something with space underneath for the cord to stick out, you do not want the tank resting on the cord, that is a hazard and dangerous. there should be instructions in or on the box.

no, he does not need uvb.

you may also want to invest in a digital thermometer. the ones that just stick onto the glass do not work properly and can give inacurate readings.

as far as the hides, they don't care if they look fancy or not, just as long as it does what its supposed to, provide security and a place to hide. a pop tart box is fine, and if you have another, stick it on the other side. at one point when he was little, my rosy had a Dorito can and an upside down butter container with a hole cut into it. so they don't care what it looks like just as long as its dark and they can hide.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And don't worry about getting the digital thermometer at a pet store. You can get them at hardware stores or Walmart for about 1/2 of what you would pay at the petshop.

16. DarkMagician207

good point, i forgot all about that. :)

17. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

supply wise...you can actually get most stuff alot cheaper at other stores. They only thing i would go in for are feeders lol.

18. MyJake

MyJake Member

Well, I bought the heat pad for him and also a bigger tank. We also moved him into our bedroom where there is less traffic. The thermometer said it is 89 on one side and I don't know what it is on the other... The heat lamp and heat pad is on one side of the tank. I have not put a hide out on the cool side yet, I am working on that. If I take a picture of the set up...will I be able to post it on here?

19. MyJake

MyJake Member

Well, forget that stupid question...I will post the pic as soon as I take it...

20. DarkMagician207

is he in the bigger tank now? if he is good, he can stay in the bigger tank throughout his life. if you haven't moved him into the bigger tank yet, i'd suggest doing it now instead of stressing him out later with another move.

i'm glad you've moved him into the bedroom where there is less traffic. that should help him calm down. don't handle him for about a week so he has some time to settle in. so far you're taking the right steps to get him into a better environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.