This Disappears When Logged In

i need help i think my iguana is sick...PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by houff, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houff

houff New Member

well he has stayed in the same spot for the past three days not moving and he has had the same piece of romaine lettuce in his pouth ..it was dried up and gross so i took him out and removed the food from its mouth no problem...i put him back alomost 6 hours ago and he hasnt moved since!!!can anyone help me he just sits on his tree branch with his eyes closed and i dont know whats wrong hes never been like this ...almost 4 monthes old if that helps with anyone...someone if you have any idea or info please help me!

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Re: i need help i think my iguana is sick...PLEASE

Well to start with the romaine luttuce is junk and it sounds like he is not on a proper diet. Can you tell me a little about his setup? Does he have a UVB light? does he have proper temperature gradients in his house? Does he have a basking spot? Wjat size home do you have him in?
    I really need to know these things to help you more................... It also sounds like he needs a vet ASAP

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

First of all Welcome to HC Network...sorry to hear about your little guy being ill. I would suggest a vet visit ASAP also. Check out our caresheet if you havent already...it could help you as well http://reptileguides.herpcenter.com/green-iguana-care-t39.html?t=39 good luck and keep us posted!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You need to get that ig to a good herp vet immediately! For an iguana to remain motionless for that length of time is and indication of how very ill it is.
    Time is of the essence!

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

please read our care sheet that Lyn posted. Your ig sounds very undernourished and probably needing UVB light as well.

I would suggest taking it to a vet to get a calcium shot and maybe and IV to help with hydration.

6. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Poor little ig. I'll tell you the same thing everyone else did. Reptile vet as soon as you can possibly get him in.

Here's a few tips for you once your iguana has seen a vet and is able to start recovering: His diet needs an overhaul. Lettuce of any kind has little to no nutritional value for your ig. Dark greens like collard greens and mustard greens should make up 80-90% of his diet. You can supplement that with other vegetables like green beans and squash, and you can give him fruit as a treat. That's a brief, brief statement. The care sheet will give you much better detail as to what he can and can't eat.

Your vet will probably also recommend some vitamin and calcium supplements for him. This is good. Definitely follow the instructions he gives you as to how much and when you should feed him these supplements.

It would be great if you can give us some idea of your setup for your iguana. He'll need a nice big area, with things to climb onto, and such. Also essential to his well being is his heat, humidity and UVB. If he doesn't have proper amounts of these, it could also be making him sick.

Please keep us updated on his condition. And welcome.

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome! First thing I'm gonna say is that I agree with everyone else, get your ig to the vet now! a reptile vet...
    and just in case, I'll save Lacey from having to do this part... :)

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks Shell...I need to put those links in my signature and see if the sites will sponsor me with all the traffic I send them...

9. schlegelbagel

i always find myself needing those links. I should add them to a posti note or something on my desktop.

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I had lots of fun finding them... ended up going to Lacey's profile and searching through her posts. the search for Reptile Vet didn't bring it up... go figure listed as herpvet... ;)

11. schlegelbagel

there, copied to my yellow sticky notes on my desktop. No more searching for me.

12. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

My advice is to go with what Nicole says. She has been a great source of info for me with my rescue iguana.

13. nicole

nicole Elite Member

please seek a vet!! And please do a lot of research on iguanas,, they are not that easy to care for and have a lot of needs that have to be met or they will suffer a horrible painful death,,, due to improper diet and improper husbandry. My thoughts will be with you and your ig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.