This Disappears When Logged In

I Need Help Building Crested Gecko Enclosure

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by reverendworm, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reverendworm

reverendworm Active Member

ok, here are the photos... it looks a little more "cavey" than it really is. I know that I said I wanted to save it for the big unveiling, but I just can't help myself.

[​IMG]

This is for night viewing...

[​IMG]

Whole enclosure, no lighting... but clear

[​IMG]

Lit up, but blurry

Some close ups
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, I guess all things are safe I suppose... With the aquarium paint up, this thing is an impenetrable fortress... Did that make me sound like a D&D geek? ... ... ... yup.

As for fiberglassing, its actually really easy as long as you know what you want to end up with.

You buy the all purpose stuff, and you can apply it directly to your surface.

If you are looking to do shapework, you just get some "Hardware Cloth" a ten dollar phrase for steel mesh. I would imagine chicken wire would do as well, although I would reccommend using the smallest sized (?)hole(?) that you could find. Then you apply fiberglass fabric / strips / tape around the structure and then apply the resin. After that, its just "wash rinse repeat."

Be forewarned though, it stinks to high **** and it has a limited working time (depends on the hardener you get and the temperature you are working at). It also sticks to everything, so I would reccommend rubber gloves and not wearing your sunday best.

If I remember correctly, you posted on another thread that you paper machet... I think its fairly similar, except you are working with an epoxy resin

2. reverendworm

Oh, I forgot to mention that the gloss is the way the aquarium sealant dries. I figure that you could probably scuff it up, but I think it gives a wet effect to the rock, which I think looks cool. Plus, for as much "rock" there is, this would be another two weeks to get it dulled down.

As for paint, it was just several different colors of rustoleum faux rock paint. I heard that this stuff doesn't blend well, but I found that if you choose your highlights / lowlights well, then it turns out very good. I just picked some logical spots for light / shadow and sprayed away, varying my distances to get the desired effect.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm an artist. I have been making sculptures out of chicken wire and paper machet for years. I wanted to get into something I could keep outside and fiberglass seemed to be key.

4. reverendworm

Fiberglass would get you there, as long as you are willing to get messy. It's pretty cheap for how far it goes, but I personally am going to wait until I have an outdoor shop set up before I mess with the stuff again

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

It's lookin great! I should get you and Liz to come help me when I set up my next one.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looking real good.
    I bet you spent a lot of hours on it so far. But it is fun isn't it?

The epoxy I use barely has any fumes (that you can smell)
    I have no problem working with it in my house. A good thing to because my next enclosure I'll be starting soon will have to be built where it's sitting. Unless I can prefab the panels to be applied inside later.

I knew you couldn't wait to share your progress with us.:p
    It's too exciting.
    It's like waiting three months to tell someone you're having a baby.(pretty tough)

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I like it!
    And the glossy look actually fits considering how damp it would naturally be. You might even take some paint and make some little water wear paths vetically to add to it.
    Great job!

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It looks great.

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

it looks amazing! You do great work. I bet you will be sad when its all done....

If you were looking for a career move i bet you could get a job making rep enclosures for zoos!! you do such great work.

10. reverendworm

Thanks a bunch. Unfortunately I have had to put a halt to the construction, due to... of all things... the weather.!.!.?...!!!

What can I say the rain god is a punk, but the cold god???
    She must be a real b!#ch... lol

On a lighter note, I have a good ficus and "wandering jew" that will help it not look like such a cave

Happy new year and all that jazz

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yeah, sometimes it gets too cold to do ANYTHING. You will get there soon enough!

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That's why I'm building my current enclosure "on the spot".
    Mostly because of the size and the garage is way too chilly.
    The epoxy would freeze before it dries.
    I'll let you know how the marriage holds out as my wife seems to think it's a bad idea.;)

13. reverendworm

HAHAHAHAHAHHA...... I feel your pain brother. lol

I am getting impatient, so I think I'm going to try to kick up some space heaters, hopefully heating it to a working level tonight. My little ones are becoming quite large and I think it becoming a space issue. Really, there isn't even that much more work to do... install ductwork, stain the outside, trim it all out and place glass. for the most part, everything is already done, except about 2 hours of honest work. Everything else has to be done inside

Let's see if determination wins out over cold aversion

14. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Just make sure you are well ventilated those fumes are rough!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.