This Disappears When Logged In

I Just Learned a Trick....

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Maaso, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I was at the local pet store...a real pet store. Not Petsmart or the like. And I was watching them mist their tanks, he would refill the sprayer for every tank, even though it wasnt empty. I kept my eye on their guages....the humidity instantly jumped and stayed up the whole hour or so I was in there. I asked him how he did it, he touched my arm with the bottle, and it was HOT. He told me to used steaming hot water, as hot as your faucet can get it. He said when you spray the mist is so small it instantly cools down to a tolerable temperature and wont hurt them. But the water will be warm enough to heat up the tank and humidify better....

Just thought I would share...

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not so sure I would try this. What if it doesn't cool down fast enough, and do you really want something playing havoc with your temperature gradient?

3. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I dont know dude. I'm just saying, it works to raise the humidity.

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I use very warm water when misting my Panther chameleons, they actually seem to enjoy it, and it does bring up the hummidity nicely, and doesn't bother the temp gradient more than a degree or so.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It doesn't actually matter if the water is hot or cold over the extended period of time. If you put in a cup of warm water or a cup of cold water, you still have added a cup of moisture to the air. All humidity is, is the amount of moisture in the air.

With the hot water you have rapid evaporation. Since the water is already hot, it takes less time for it to reach evaporation temperature and thus releases moisture "faster" into the air.

If you have hot meeting cold, you will also create a quick fog effect which also releases moisture into the air faster.

I have used the hot water "trick" for some time for the quick burst. It doesn't really alter the temperatures much, if at all. A degree or 2 for the span of 5 minutes is not going to harm anyone.

I do suggest though that anyone who tries this uses some common sense. Don't get the water as hot as you can from the tap and then go spray the animal directly. Humans are 98 degrees. If something feels warm to us, it is more than 98 degrees. It could be considered "hot" by your reptiles. ;)

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Dude?? (shakes his head)

Please let me apologize to you Shell as someone obviously didn't read your signature. Most of us here know your not "dude" ;)

7. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I call my mom dude...
    I call my femal cat dude...
    I (used) to call my boss dude...
    I call my truck dude...

Thats just what I do.

8. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

No worries. I consider it a complement when the guys at the firehouse call me a fireman, so.. can't really take offense to "dude". :) :p ;)

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL
    Well I'm kinda old fashion and a woman is never "dude" :p;)

10. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Thats just mean, I would never do that.

11. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

That's OK, Most still call me a Mailman. Especially the kids but even adults say if I go to the door for a signature and they're on the phone. The people ALWAYS get back on the phone and say "sorry, the mailman was at the door."

I actually think its funny now, once a kid yelled for Dad that the mailman was at the door. Poor guy stepped out from the hall and did and about face and disappeared. He only had his underpants on. Oops.

12. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I think Rich was just pointing it out to everybody else that might be reading this thread.;)

Of course you would never do that!:p

13. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I WAS just pointing it out for anyone who happened across this post. ;)

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And it wouldn't be the first time that someone did something with out thinking about it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.