This Disappears When Logged In

I Have No Will Power...

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by Knox, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I just ordered a Black Milk Snake. Yes, I bought a Mexican Black Kingsnake last week. No, I don't need 2 black snakes.

BUT... Here's my rationale:

I can always sell the MBK easily. They aren't very common around here. AND, if I were to sell off ALL my collection but ONE snake, I could keep the Black Milk with no worry about heat, since they are kept in the low to mid 70's - room temperature.

Can you tell I am trying to talk myself into believing this was a good idea?

Being an adult with cash to spend and no one to tell you "no" is a dangerous thing.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

lol, looking forward to photos:D

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Just don't do like me and reach the point where you go "I could get this {insert reptile here} this week and just pay that bill next week" like I have in the past, lol. Now I pay the bills first and just go to the shows broke:(((. Anyway, congrats on the new purchase.

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Thanks!

No, the money came from my savings account. And I have some 40 Gallon Breeder tanks for sale on Craigslist, so if those sell it will just about pay for it.

I try not to buy anything without making up for some of it by selling something else. I am still behind financially, but not as bad this way. And seeing as how I don't drink (I save a LOT of money that way), don't really have a clothing budget since I wear scrubs nearly every day, and rarely see a movie at the theater, I think I am doing okay...

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I was sorely tempted by the black milks at the last show - I know exactly how you feel.

Couldn't afford it this time though. I'll just add it to my wish list, which grows far too fast.

I get my bills paid, and I eat well, have a retirement plan, and somehow have a little spending money at the end of the month despite working jobs that pay little more than minimum wage. I guess I'm such a scrooge with so many other things that it all adds up somehow.

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I am trying hard to resist, just got a nice big check from my lawyer last month... The only animals I bought (so far, poor hubby) was a hamster (kids hammy died a week before) and a cornsnake. I had to talk the hubby into the snake, I have been breeding mice for 5 years now and I sell the offspring to the petshop for feeders so I have a never ending supply of food.
    I saw the pics of your MBK and I am sure if I saw him I'd buy it too lol!

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Now you didn't mention how your wife lets you buy all these snakes.
    As we all know (those of us that are married) that is the REAL obstacle.

8. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Oh, I was divorced last year, but nothing to do with snakes...

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am lucky in that my wife is quite supportive(read tolerant!) of my fascination. Upon being faced with a potential new aquisition she will roll her eyes,....
    but still tells me to get it.:D

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

OOPS
    *takes foot out of mouth*

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

See it's the opposite here, I am the animal nut and my hubby is the one who grumbles and needs convincing lmao! To get my corn I had to bribe him with a 46" plasma tv :) LOL I do admit I like the 46 much better then the 20inch. I think I am done atm before my family calls in animal horders...
    1 cornsnake
    1 bearded dragon
    4 rabbits
    2 cats
    2 dogs
    3 gerbils
    1 hamster
    4 hermit crabs
    15 fancy mice
    Which only makes 6 cages and I work 4 hours mon-friday so they are well taken care of, spoiled :) lol

12. Knox

Knox Elite Member

No worries at all, my friend.

13. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Sounds like here Merlin, only its the husband whom is the tolerant one. :) I usually get what I want. It helps that I pay for most of it myself after the bills.

Thats how I got my snake Wyldrose... Hubby spent 3k so I got to get a snake, he couldnt argue about me spending 500 give or take.

14. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

My husband and I feed off of each other when it comes to getting new animals. If we weren't flat broke right now we'd be overrun with critters!!

15. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Its probably a good thing my wife is on the happy side of tolerating, otherwise I could guarantee you we would be overrun. In her opinion we are now, lol.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Hearing you guys grumble makes me feel so lucky. My Fiance wants to build me custom enclosures for all my babies, with the heat, humidity, and light systems built into a control panel, so I can adjust it all easily. He also wants to build me a house with a 12x24" room just for herps. He wants half of the house to be "Monitor Proof" so we can get into large varanids, and they can have plenty of outside cage time for exercise, training, etc, even during the winter. He's talking heated floors, the works. He hasn't even been to a herp show yet. I can't wait to take him to his first one, and see what he does. He's absolutely in love with my Ball Python, and the babies she had this year. He's been telling me that once he's back, he wants to "learn more of the husbandry" and start going with me when I do educational presentations, and help with the lectures. He was started on that before they deployed him.

I have some of his hair, if anyone wants some of his DNA for cloning. Going to the highest bidder, lol.

17. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I may take you up on that offer. ;)

18. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Nice Jen! You got yourself a winner! Can he cook? That would be the cherry on top.

19. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Lucky!! LOL my hubby can cook, he is the kitchen manager at a local resturant, but that doesnt mean he cooks at home! LOL

Anyways just when I say I am done I'm getting my tokay gecko back, I gave her to a friend this summer and she bit her lol. I have to trade my hermit crabs to get her back though so give away 4 to get one lol. Lisa runs a day home so if the tokay bit a kid it would be very bad!