This Disappears When Logged In

I have a tarantula

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Lyn, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I have a Rose Haired Tarantula named (for obvious reasons) Rosey...I have had her for 2 yrs now and she is easy to care for (compared to the igs lol) hope to see some action here soon...Lyn

2. Lionfishy

Lionfishy Elite Member

I really want a praying Mantis!

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Praying Mantis

Yea those are cool too...when we were kids we caught them all the time and let them go in the house to freak out my mother .lol.....she was not happy about that ....Lyn

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I caught them as a kid as well. I had a small screen cage that I kept mine in. We spent a lot of time catching flies to feed them. We would let them walk around on our hands and terrified my Mother! She called them Devils Horses and told us they were poisonous! Of course she thought the same thing about every snake I showed up with! Kathy is ok with the snakes but if I showed up with a spider she'd disown me! She saw a birdeater at a herp show and had nightmares about them for about 4 days.

5. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

Merlin, that sounds like Roger as well! He won't even watch them on TV... he doesn't do the docus about them and he won't watch movies like Arachnophobia or Eight Legged Freaks (no lose on Eight Legged Freaks! LOL Typical Hollywood villianization of perfectly harmless creatures!). Maybe one day we can revisit the thought of me & the boys owning a tarantula, but that may be after a divorce (which he "jokingly" threatens everytime I bring up snakes! :rolleyes: )! LOL :D :p

6. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

Hey Lyn! We have a T too, a Pink Zebra Beauty sling we got from Regal Reptiles right after the egg sack opened. It was the size of my daughters pinky nail when we first got it, and it could only eat fruit flies. It's funny when the pinheads are the same size as the animal you are trying to feed them to! Since then, it has molted a few times, and is now the size of my index finger nail. It tunnels, and we have it in a glass vial with soil and vermiculite. I was never afraid of spiders, but not really a fan of them, either. Since having this guy (or girl, don't know yet) I have developed an appreciation of them. I'm a firm believer in getting something small and watching it grow. It helps you adjust to it. We don't have a name for it yet. I just call it Baby. It's finally eating pinhead crix.

7. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Hey all :)

As most of you know we had a beautiful indian ornamental who unfortunately died a few months ago. We now just have the one T - Incy Wincy (how original i hear you cry :D ) - she (finger's crossed) is a cobalt blue, who is now several months old and approx 2.5inch legspan and starting to show gorgeous blue tones!

Pics will follow when she's large enough and bold enough to stay out of her burrow long enough for me to take photos :p

8. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

Bitis, did you ever figure out what happened with your Indian Ornamental?? I remember when it happened, it was so sad. It's hard to know with insects and reptiles what is wrong, or even how it happened....Can't wait to see pics of the blue one! I almost got one of those.

9. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Hey

Sadly we will never know for certain what happened to India, but we are pretty certain that her death was due to a fall, which although is highly unusual for aboreal t's, not impossible, or she may have had something wrong with her that caused a fall. Despite that she ate well and molted perfectly before her death, and was not fully grown so still quite young. She's buried in our back yard, with Hecate the boa, and they are hopefully over the rainbow with the rest of our animals that have passed, having far more fun than we're having down here :p

Incy's cool, i hope to get some pictures when we clean her tank out soon, but the best will be when she's big! I look forward to seeing pics of yours too, in the future when you can see her ofcourse :p

Rach :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.