This Disappears When Logged In

I Have a Plant Question Help

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by adcgn45, Aug 19, 2010.

1. adcgn45

adcgn45 Member

ok i have a cage for my water dragon that is 4 ft tall 3ft wide and 2.5 wide .it has a 5 gal pool with water fall in it and 2 bags of peat moss andd soil mix on the other side under that is one bag of clay balls . i have an elaphant ear that doesnt seem to like the situation and i had coleus in it whigh the dragon destroyed. i have one 3ft fourescent grow bulb and one of the uv bulbs for the lizard in the top. do i need more lighting? or whats wrong with my set up? what should i use for plants? they need to be durable. i dont know id this is considered low light or what. ive seen the plants get areas on the edges where they look burnt.

Attached Files:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Pothos. Hard to kill, does great in low, medium or medium-high light. Tolerates lots of water or dry conditions and is durable. Vines grow all directions. Does best hanging up high and draping downward. I would place one in that tank in a hanging basket sort of 2/3 up.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Because I lack a Green thumb (and was instead endowed with the black thumb of death) I can kill pothos while trying my level best to get it to thrive.

I already mentioned in your intro thread that I have had good luck with a plant I believe is called Arrowhead. Mine lives in a pot on the floor of the cage, and my CWD doesn't bother it. Been in there for Months, and is flourishing.

4. injunjoe

injunjoe Well-Known Member

Hey welcome to the forum nice to see someone so close.

The Arrowhead mentioned does pretty well for me also.
    Split Leaf is in the same pot and is doing ok but not as happy as the Arrow.

The Corn Plant does very well for me off to the side as to not block all the light and view. In the same family the Ti
    also has been doing good for me after about a year in the enclosure.

My Parlor Palm is by far most happy of them all. I think it is related to the Mushroom! Lol

I find the best way to grow the plants is to have two of each! I keep one in the enclosure and one in my garden/jungle, (I am a plant fanatic) then when one looks sad I just replace it with a happy fresh one.
    I am all natural without any pesticides in my garden.