This Disappears When Logged In

I Have a Few Questions

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by xsivie, Sep 24, 2014.

1. xsivie

xsivie Member

I have never had carpets and I am going to pick up a pair in a few days. I have had many other snakes and I have read several care sheets on carpets so I am not worries about husbandry.

What I am wondering is if there are any behavioral traits that are general for this species that I should watch out for, health issues that they are prone to get.

Also can any one tell me what type of carpets they are? I have a pic of each, the female is the one with her head out.

Attached Files:

2. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

If you are an experienced snake keeper carpets are going to be a breeze. They are pretty much bullet proof as far has husbandry goes. They are hardy, easy, low maintaince animals. About the only issue they are prone to is obsiety as adults. They are very easy to overfeed as adults because of their huge prey response and low calorie needs. I took one of my males off of food last year for 5 months and he still grew! They can be a little flighty and possibly bitey if they don't get handle often but its not bad if you're comfortable with your animals.

They look pretty much like coastals to me. Its really hard to say, as the subspecies are so variable and they've also been crossed and intergraded in the hobby like crazy, so you're pretty much going on the word/reputation of the person you're buying from. Some keepers have precise lineage information on their carpets to verify that the line has been bred true to the subspecies, most don't.

Is the male a low expression Jag? Hard to tell from the picture

3. xsivie

xsivie Member

So if they actually are Coastals, they would end up getting later than the other subs and would be more of a ground snake and less arborial?
    Either way I am extremely excited to get them and work with a new species.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

So if they actually are Coastals, they would end up getting later than the other subs and would be more of a ground snake and less arborial?
    Either way I am extremely excited to get them and work with a new species.[/QUOTE]

Eh, yes and no. The BIG coastals most people think of, the ones that consistently grow 8-12 feet, are found in the Brisbane locality of Australia. This locality was not available in the US until this year, Nick Mutton produced the first clutch of brisbanes in the states a few months ago. The vast majority of pure coastal lines available in the US max out on the small end of the size range for the subspecies. So while they will grow slightly larger, on average, then other subspecies the size difference in captivity isn't huge.

Ive found that the arboreal tendencies have more to do with how you set the cage up and the personality of the individual animal more then the subspecies. If you utilize an elevated basking are they will petch a lot to get to the good heat, if you use flexwatt or a UTH they will stay more on the ground. Some of my carpets never want to leave their perches, others rarely climb at all. It just depends.

Carpets are a blast. I hope you enjoy working with them, ive found it to be very rewarding

5. xsivie

xsivie Member

@cryhavoc17- thanks for the info. The more I learn about them the more excited I am to start working with them. I am going to pick them up tonight. I will make sure to post some better pics once I have them home.