This Disappears When Logged In

I Guess Im Lucky

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by target1911, Feb 23, 2011.

1. target1911

target1911 Well-Known Member

Out of the above methods I still like the co2. I would hate to mess up and just injure the mouse/rat.
    Feeding live is nature......me breaking the neck or smacking it on a table is not. :eek:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As is a rodent, in the coils of the snake gasping for air, fighting for its life, turning around and sinking its teeth into the spine or skull of the snake killing it!
    I have been doing this for a lot of years and seen a lot of people with your arguements.
    And then one day their snake was dead, killed by the prey.

The snake does not require live prey. So the only real underlying arguement is that YOU want to see it.

3. target1911

Even if it is because I want to see it ...so what..it is still MY choice. Life is full of risks. There is a possibility that I could get shot any night that I go to work but that is a choice that I make. I chose my job for ME. Not for others. Some my find my job foolish and others find it necessary. But it is a choice I make every night that I go to work. The same goes for me CHOOSING to feed live pray. Some will agree and some will not. You have your reasons and I have mine and neither are wrong.

I will ask that there are no further post made in this thread about MY choice to feed live prey. As I stated above (refer to my second post please) NO BASHING.

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

True there is nothing we can do to stop you, but we can warn you. Be VERY careful. I've seen far too many injuries and deaths from snakes being attacked by their prey, and they aren't always just because the owner felt relaxed enough to leave during feeding. I myself have an animal that I struggle to get on f/t because she has been prone to missing the head and has nearly been badly bitten multiple times, and this was with me standing over her, ready to intervene with tongs!

Not bashing, just our own warnings, often because of our own experiences.

Plus, a big pro for me is that frozen thawed saves me hundreds in the long run! Comparing 4 dollars a live rat, plus gas every week, plus food for the rat if the snake chooses not to eat that day... to 90cents a rat for just a small package, and even less if I were to buy in bulk... that's good for me, lol!

Edit: Well sorry, I didn't see your post as I was typing! :O

5. target1911

It's all good Kat. And I thank everyone for their concerns but as stated above I am aware of the risk. Also as stated above the roommates have a problem with frozen rats next to the ice cream and pizza rolls.
    Again I thank you

6. Rob

Rob Elite Member

Snakes do eat dead prey in the wild. So f/t and f/k are just as natural as live.

7. target1911

IN ALL REALITY THE TOPIC IS NOT ABOUT LIVE vs F/T. It is about how my ball is not a picky eater and I chose to give some background of me and my ball.

8. Merlin

Bashing would be calling you names and just spouting off. Telling you something is not bashing just because YOU do not want to hear it. Years ago I also thought it was fine to feed live. Until a rat turned, bit, and almost killed one of MY snakes.

At least you are finally being honest about it.

9. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I can imagine doing a cartoon of meeting your little Ball Python and seeing his bitten-off tongue and asking him: "So....RAT got your tongue???" Sorry - could not help that one.

I used to feed live prey to my snakes too until I saw what was done to a baby Ball python that was at a pet shop that called me to come and take it to the vet for them. There was a huge gaping hole in one side of its body....mouse was left with it that it did not eat, so the mouse ate it instead.

I KNOW you said that this is not a live vs. dead thread, but still....please remember that in the wild, they take their chances, but being in our care, we are responsible for them, we can prevent the bad stuff from happening to them, and we should!!!

10. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Tammy you need to help, and not just criticize!!!!!

Right.

How to kill a rat:

Have a table or flat surface covered with a sheet of newspaper.
    Have a piece of heavy steel or iron bar in your hand, about 10 or 12 inches long.
    Take rat by tail and put on newspaper, and then quickly press the bar down hard behind its ears, on the back of its neck, breaking the neck, and keep pressing down hard with both hands either end of the bar, until the rat stops moving. Takes maybe less than a minute.

Before I press down I sometimes whack the head, stunning it before breaking the neck. Sorry it sounds cruel but it is very quick and virtually bloodless if done correctly and firmly. It is quicker and less cruel than if the snake constricts and kills the rat itself.

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I saw the added note in your first post asking everyone to not discuss the whole live vs. f/t deal. Unfortunately this is a forum and when people with much more experience than you have something to share, regardless if you want to hear it, it is shared.

There is nothing natural about you tossing in a live rodent with a confined snake so stop trying to justify your actions using that line. In the wild the snake has the ability to escape a mouse or rat that decides it doesn't want to be eaten and is getting the best of the snake. In your tank that isn't an option.

View this: http://www.herpcenter.com/snakes-general/32765-picture-request-live-prey-results.html

As a responsible pet owner you are suppose to try and keep your pets safe and healthy. You stated you know the risks and still choose to do it. It would be a different story if you simply couldn't swap the snake over. Its an entirely different story when the owner is doing it for entertainment. I find your actions and justification to be childish and selfish.

You should read this: Feeding Snakes: Live vs. Frozen-Thawed

If you really don't want to hear any of this then I highly suggest you post on another site. You will find very few people on this website who will condone or accept you feeding live rodents for entertainment purposes. You will also find out what bashing is if you post this exact same thread on other websites. You clearly don't know what a bash is.

12. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

I just want to chime in from a perspective that hasn't been mentioned yet. No bashing, promise, you have the right to do as you seem fit.

I come from the UK where it is not allowed to feed live food (unless that has changed). This serves two purposes, it eliminates the threat of injury (or worse), and it (hopefully) reduces the number of wild caught animals being sold illegally. A decent seller will guarantee or even demonstrate the acceptance of F/T food.

The reptile store that I use has a large selection of animals, both CB and WC. Often when I go there I hear and see chicks standing and tweeting, or mice or rats running around in tanks. Apart from my cultural dislike for live feeding, this suggests two things to me; these reptiles/snakes aren't being looked after very well, or they just aren't bothering to convert WC to F/T food which means the creature probably has parasites and may be difficult to settle down after purchase.

Just doesn't make any sense to to me feed live food . :)

13. target1911

All ego and attitude aside, I thank you all for your concern. I am still researching the f/t and other options. I am not ruling out f/t but I am not going to do it just because YOU say I SHOULD.

I have read care sheets and books but I am new to the reptile forums. It is easy to think that they (books) tell you to feed f/t to cover their tail. If they tell you that it ok to feed live then they open themselves GP to law suits if someone's reptile gets injured. That is the main reason I still feed live. As I said I am researching and I am interested in the co2 method and plan to try it.

Now can we get back to our regularly scheduled program (topic)?

If anyone else just can't live without telling me their opinion on f/t, I ask that you please pm me rather than post here. Thank you.

14. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Gee, I opened a can of worms didnt I! =-)

15. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If it wasn't you it would have been someone else. (You were the first post and his thread says he dropped a rodent in. lol One of us would have asked.) The moment the topic of live comes up, the thread takes an educating turn.

The topic was about feeding and how you were lucky. Discussing feeding is exactly what this thread has been about. You simply don't care for everyone telling you that you are feeding live for all the wrong reasons and why. As you posted, you know the risks and made your choice anyways. This thread is going to continue to discuss the original post which is you stating you dropped in a rodent and then followed it up with the fact you feed live.

This thread is directly on course with what was written and everyone is completely entitled to continue posting if they wish.

16. Merlin

Or could it just be that it was people with EXPERIENCE advising beginners to avoid the very danger we have been discussing?

17. target1911

Today I am going to get the stuff I need for the co2 method.

18. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

hey target, i used to feed live to my ball because i didnt know there was any other way really. when i moved up to rats i almost imediately decided to switch to frozen. i had the small rat in the feeding container like always and i let Ezra come in from the top like always. well she didnt strike immediately (it was like her 3rd rat ever) and the rat came up to investigate. it sniffed her face and then opened its mouth to nibble her relatively thin neck. i freaked out and whacked the side of the container freaking out Ez and the rat but was certain if that rat (with its huge teeth) had bitten down it would have killed my baby. I understand your points but i just want to make sure that you are very very careful, your beloved pet could be dead in a second and i wouldnt want that to happen to anyone. beautiful snake by the way.

19. target1911

Thank you annaj328

20. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Co2 is very affective that is how I kill all our rats. We breed them so it's defiantly the most afficent and HUMANE way to kill 30+ rats some days.