This Disappears When Logged In

I Got One!

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Merlin, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well after years of considering one, I am now the proud owner of a baby jungle carpet python! Made a visit this weekend to the Oklahoma City Reptile show, just to look around mind you
    (Yeah right! Thats what I keep telling myself! :rolleyes: )
    and wound up at a table full of baby carpet pythons at an incredible price! After picking up and examining several, getting repeatedly bitten and pooped on, I found one that was quite calm and didn't do either one! just calmly climbed around on my fingers and looked at me like "Well?"
    So he came home with me.
    Honest honey he followed me home!
    Here he is just getting settled in to his new digs. The first one is with flash and the second one is without.
    2011_10120010.jpg
    2011_10120011.jpg
    I'm hoping that he will develop the screaming bright yellow banding but either way he's home!

Attached Files:

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

3. Merlin

Thanks! And for size comparison....the hide he is perched on is a Pringles Potato chip container cut in half longways!

4. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Thats funny! I was wondering what that was!

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Very cute little guy! Congratulations on your Carpet Python, looking forword to more photos as he grows!

6. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

So cute! Can't wait to see him grow up! :) I've always wanted a coastal carpet myself! Aussie pythons are pretty sweet!

7. Merlin

LOL. I was wrong. That one is a Lays can, but same general idea except they are plastic and pringles are cardboard.
    I like them because they are long and you can lay them across the back of the enclosure and the snake has a lot of temperatures to choose from without ever having to leave the shelter of the hide.

They had a bunch of coastals too! But I have always liked that bright yellow of the Jungles. And though there is no guarantee mine is one of them since he took them in on trade, some of the batch were out of VPI's stock which is killer in appearance.
    I would LOVE for him to turn out like this

VPI Jungle Carpet Python | Vida Preciosa International, Inc.

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Whew, Merlin!!! All I can say is SSSSSMMMOKINNN'!!!! Of course Jim Carry said it MUCH better in "The MASK". But, you get the general idea. Awesome looking little guy. I probably would have taken one of the little biters; but, that's just me. I sincerely hope it is one from the VPI stock- I would love to see photos of THAT! Of course any photos of snakes are great photos!

On a side note: Have you seen the male "CORAL GLOW" ball python on the N.E.R.D. site? A STEAL AT $65,000.00!!!!! I am starting a savings fund...I am putting any extra change I have at the end of the day aside for THAT snake! I already ha $21.00...I.wonder if he gives discounts for cash payments. I only need a $64,979.00 DEEEEEEEEEEP discount. Hmmm. :p :D

Seriously though, beautiful little acquisition. ;)

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Beautiful find Merlin, he is sure to be a stunner!!

10. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

The best part of these guys is if you get a good looking baby, it's going to be an AMAZING adult! They get better with age! :D

And David: NERD's finally figured out how the genetics work on the coral glow, apparently it's a sex linked gene. So males should go down in price some(but due to difficulty in getting them they will probably still be up there in price for a long time!)! Good news for those of us who are interested in getting them someday! :D

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Beautiful little guy, congrats!

12. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on your new little one...and looking forward to seeing how his coloring develops as he ages.....(having the vivid yellow like the one you linked to would definitely be a plus, but even if not that extremely vivid, he's still a looker for sure.)

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hey Kate, yeah I figured it was something like that because when you click on the icon for him, they all but scream that he is a male. I was actually being a smart aleck, but I would LOVE to have a breeding pair sometime in the (sadly) distant future. :(

14. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Beautiful snake I want to get a snake but a unique snake like yours

15. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Gorgeous jungle there Merlin!! Great find :)

16. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Wow Merlin! So exciting! Everyone needs to get lots of new herps and post lots of pics of them so I can live vicariously for a while. Wish I had the time money and space for a beaut like that.

17. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Stunning! That is one smart snake; so well behaved that he convinced you he belonged in your house! I wish I could have snakes (all I need is a snake that eats insects only and I am golden LOL). But where are the wound pictures :confused: you know how sick we are around here!

18. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

That is a beautiful snake Merlin. Good luck with it. :)
    I need to do more research, I was under the impression that carpet pythons grew almost as large as a burmese..

19. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Not even close! Carpets won't even hit ten feet, whereas Burmese can max out at almost 20.

20. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

Hmm.. so I could keep a carpet python and not have to worry about someone legally stealing my snake... I'll have to keep that in mind. I've always thought carpets were beautiful. :)