This Disappears When Logged In

I Got a King!

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by rhinokeeper, Apr 7, 2014.

1. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

So I recently got my hands on a California Kingsnake. Its a one month old believed to be female 50/50 B/W. She is amazing and has a really nice attitude. She has struck at my hands a few times the first week and would also release a little stink bomb. Now that its week 4 she is about as nice and calm as they get. She just had her first shed (one piece) and has been eating 2 f/t pinkies in a sitting so far. Incredibly active at night and basks in her hot spot duribg the day. Will post pics as soon as the site allows ha.

2. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Awesome congrats!

3. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

4. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

5. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

He's beautiful!

6. HappyAppy

HappyAppy Member

Beautiful! Looks like my Maggie. How did you build your enclosure, Maggie would have a field day with all of those hiding places to explore! It looks amazing :) I love my king...when she's not hungry lol...hopefully your guy doesn't have quite as huge of an appetite as mine lol. I just love the personalities in king snakes :)

7. Saborun

Saborun Well-Known Member

i love the enclosure XD

8. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

Thx everyone. I tried to make it seem like a rocky California mountain :p. She is a wicked eater that's for sure. Not too aggressive when it comes to being handled but I def dobt have any feed problems. I think a naturalish enclosure helps keep her happy.

9. EriksExotics

What are you using for substrate?

10. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

I added lots of rocks to the cage while it was empty then added my sand/ecoearth all around burying the rocks. Doing that makes lots of hiding spots but don't expect to be able to just grab the snake out when you please because it won't happen lol. She hides a lot but she is also out just as much. I handle her when she is out and about that way she never feels stressed out from being dug up.

11. EriksExotics

Be careful for impaction and RI's

12. DSBoots

DSBoots Well-Known Member

Oooh. She's pretty :D

13. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

I use this substrate mix with alnost all my reps and have never had any issues. Knock on wood

- - - Updated - - -

She also feeds in a separate container so impaction shouldn't be an issue especially with a snake.

14. EriksExotics

If one was to get an RI and opened their mouth to breathe, they could ingest it. I'm not saying it will happen but there's a risk so just be careful and keep an eye on them :)

15. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

I have small computer/usb fans on all of my enclosures as well to maintain fresh air. Minus my rhino iggy, she has her very own desk fan that is on a timer

16. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member