This Disappears When Logged In

I Found MORE Tadpoles!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Frognut, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I was getting ready to dump the 'kiddie pools' that I use for my dogs in the summer and I found one had another batch of tadpoles. They are larger in size, so they have been there for a while --- but what do I do with them??

It's getting too cold to let them stay in the pool. If I bring them in (1. my husband will kill me) and 2. it will be a nightmare trying to keep them over the winter.

From the last experience trying to raise 3 of my current 4 Gray Tree Frogs from the same batch of tadpoles, they all morph at different stages regardless that they are in the same environment.

I really don't have the room for another aquarium, plus all the 'interim' containers for the in-between stages when they can't stay with the tads and aren't ready for the tank with the bigger frogs.

Help? I was thinking I could bring them in, feed them real good and take them to the pond up the street from me - would that be a do-able thing, or am I just asking for them to be lunch that way. (Of course if I don't do something, they will just be dead anyway). I can't believe I'm feeling guilty about a handful of tadpoles who's parents laid eggs this late in the season....

Thanks,
    Frognut
    Growing more nuttier by the minute.

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: I Found MORE Tadpoles!!!!

I think I would just take the whole batch to the pond directly. By taking them into an artificial environment and feeding them, you risk introducing contaminants that can affect the wild population.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Just take them to the pond. They would be far better equipped to survive there.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm another one for the pond!

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Ok - thanks everyone. Off to the pond they go. And how convenient - tonight is my sons Scout meeting, and we drive right by that pond!

Yeah! Then I can clean the pools and not feel any more guilt!

Frognut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.