This Disappears When Logged In

I Found A Tortoise in My Yard HELP

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by BlueCardinalArtist, Mar 30, 2014.

1. BlueCardinalArtist

BlueCardinalArtist Well-Known Member

My Dad was cleaning out the flowerbeds and stumbled across the shell of a tortoise and we aren't really sure if its dead or alive... we uprooted it a little bit and the bottom of its shell looked more like a hinge than anything and it was completely sealed inside its shell with only slits left and no room for the head to stick out.

I have never seen anything like this before at all and we really have no idea what to do so please help

I would put up pictures but im not sure if we should uproot it again. We just covered it back up where we found it but we're still not sure.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

sounds like he is a box turtle. They have a hinged shell they can seal up if they are scared. Everything tucks in very neatly, and no parts are left hanging out for a predator to munch on.

Google box turtles, and see if it looks like the one you found.

3. BlueCardinalArtist

BlueCardinalArtist Well-Known Member

Ok it does look like a box turtle. Thats good to know - i thought that it was broken initially.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Nope, not broken, just really well-designed creatures.

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Box Turtle Caresheet (Terrapene carolina) here is the herp center care sheet for box turtles, but I will stress this to you though before keeping it..... some areas is is illegal to keep them as they are endangered in certain areas..... so check with your local dcnr and get info...... but they are really cool animals and very entertaining.....

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It would be best just to leave him and let him live in the wild. Boxies need alot of upkeep and space so they are a rather difficult pet for most people.