This Disappears When Logged In

I Feel Stupid.....

Discussion in 'Heating' started by TJOHNSON722, Jan 26, 2013.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

So, I feel like an idiot. I kept hearing people talk about using halogens to help supplement heat. I'm thinking ...... "What????????" I never put 2 and 2 together. I know flood lights produced heat. I was talking to my husband about heating and said "well I wonder if we could put the flood lights in there. Or find some of those halogen things I hear about". He busts out laughing and tells me they are the same thing. Great. Just great.

So were getting halogens to supplement heat instead of those rediculously expensive infrared bulbs. Not to mention help lighting. Yay.

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

The things we put ourselves through for our animals :) I've done soo many dumb things till someone corrects me and I figure out what I'm doing. Your light isn't as bad ;)

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I read the title and first thought "YAY!!! I am not alone!"

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Haha....... I've wasted hundreds on those infrared lights. Incredibly stupid!! I ordered 10 100w halogens for 10.00 on Amazon. It's incredibly cheap. I've never researched night temps as much as I have in the past few days.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Hahah, it's really not all that stupid. As a reminder, don't go out and grab any Halogen lamp--ensure that it's a PAR38 outdoor rated halogen flood with a beam 30* or wider for larger animals (you may need a few side by side depending on distance). If you intend on using it on a dimmer (which I'd recommend) . If you intend on using it on a dimmer (which I'd recommend) be sure that the specific lamp is dimmable as not all of them are. You would be surprised as to how many bulbs look the same, but are actually quite different.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Awesome thanks.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You'll see some that have a small octagon clear area in the middle.
    Don't use those. They do not spread the output as well since the clear area is more focused than the surrounding area that is 'textured'.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Now are there any smaller halogens? All the ones I have found so far are massive and won't fit my fixtures. I need them to fit in my mini domes.

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

That is a good question......

10. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

their are smaller halogen bulbs, but the are not out door rated. that means if you get ANY water on the they explode.

11. Bluetailmonitor

Bluetailmonitor New Member

I just got some tonight .satco par20 50w for my monitors.

12. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Lol, thats great. almost as bad as me installing my newest digital thermometer sensor DIRECTLY on the glass above the UTH and freaking out for 2 days because I thought I had baked my snake for almost a week at 120 F substrate. until a friend pointed out I should put it on top of the substrate not the glass and found out the substrate temps was warming to only 91/92 F. granted still too warm for a ball but a but load better than 120 F!!! lol, I fixed it by making a thicker layer of substrate so substrate temp never goes above 87 now even if I leave the UTH on 24/7 but I'm always scared he will dig down to the glass and burn himself, so once it hits 83 I turn off the UTH, and only have it on when I am home and up.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Also the smaller halogens I have seen are for indoor use and thy don't generate the heat.
    So the only outdoor halogens are massive?

14. Vers

Vers Elite Member

PAR38 lamps are around 4.75" in diameter and are more suitable for providing large diameter basking zones with a gradual heat gradient. Smaller lamps, like PAR30 and PAR20, would work too, but you would need multiple bulbs in a tight bank or higher wattage lamps placed further away to provide even heat over the same area as a single PAR38. Also, indoor halogen and incandescent flood lamps provide heat, just not as much per watt. This is why outdoor rated halogen floods are recommended, because they are more efficient. The downside, however, is that outdoor halogens produce extremely warm color temperatures, which isn't ideal when trying to replicate the spectrum of natural sunlight.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Hmmm... Thanks Vers. I think I am going to look for the smaller par bulbs. My lizards aren't that big and with the distance to the basking platforms they might work.