This Disappears When Logged In

I Done Did it Again.>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by goldrockin_froggie, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

OK Merlin,you're right.Let's forget about all that and let's be nice to each other. :) Sorry about my earlier post,I apologize.
    diggy,I wish you all the best with your new BP and please keep us posted what happened at the vet and how he's settling in. :)

2. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

I took my snakes to a local vet but they didn't have the probing tools as we are a small town and they didn't charge me for this service but he determined these were nothing more than healing bites and burns.. Looking it over carefully with a large magnifying glass determined not ticks or other bugs and then staying in a container with mite spray (just because)allowed these two to be together. I want to study up on the different morphs of BP's. THis newer one on the left is allot whiter than it's counter part. Is this a ghost of some sort or what ever you call it? Let me know what you all think why it is so light. Age was undetermined on these guys, so maybe when a friend and I travel to NV to have it probed i will know more.
    Thanks Merlin for allowing everyone to be able to re read what I wrote, BTW im a female. It's a common mistake.
    Without further adieu here they are:

[​IMG]

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I have some darker and some lighter colored BPs....I often wonder what the big deal was on Ghosts lol....One of mine is very light like yours!! They are very nice.....Lyn

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

OOPS!
    I stand corrected Ms Diggy! :eek:

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Personally, I see nothing wrong with using hamsters as feeders. We use mice and rats after all. To say that killing mice and rats is ok, but killing hamsters is wrong, is a little hypocritical in my opinion. Its playing favorites. They're both rodents, both edible to snakes, and both are also companion animals. I keep rats and mice as pets, and love them, but I still feed other mice to my snakes. I have a pet anole, but I feed my non-pet anoles to my vine snake. We eat cows, who's to say eating a cow is ok, but eating a horse is wrong? I'm sure cow lovers might have a difference of opinion on that ;) Just my 2 cents.

6. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

According to my understanding, ball pythons largely feed on hamsters in the wild. I can't say I've seen this myself, and certainly I wasn't aware of any particular species of hamster residing in central and western africa (forested regions), but I would believe hamsters and gerbils over the mice and rats we try to feed them, which aren't well adapted to live in that area of the world. I've also seen people who haven't been able to get their BP to take rats or mice, frozen or thawed, get a terrific feeding response out of their bp by introducing it to a hamster, indicating a rather particular built-in preference for them as a food source. I'm guessing this is where the current practice of giving a BP the occassional hamster came from.

I've never done it, but I do say that if it came down to the health of any one of my BPs, I wouldn't be above giving it a try.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

The species of "hamster" you are referring to is called a jerboa. Those are a staple in the wild BP's diet.

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

To correct any confusion, BPs don't normally eat a lot of rats and mice in the wild, but they don't eat hamsters either. The various species of hamsters are native to Asia and Europe. As Rich said, they eat more jerboas.

Hamsters are family Cricetidae
    Gerbils are family Muridae (along with rats and mice)
    Jerboas are family Dipodidae, and look sort of like kangaroo rats

9. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I've not a problem with feeding hamsters, like Matt i have rats as pets but i also have feeder rats in my freezer. I simply think it is often unnecessary unless every single thing has been tried to get the snake feeding on f/t, just because of the inconvenience and cost. I do however think it is cruel to feed live, again perhaps unless a snake will absolutely not eat anything else. And that said, one of our BPs goes for at least 6 months, last year 8, without food, and we still weren't worried.

As for the ghost morph.. these are extremely expensive and not so common so it is more likely you just have two different looking normals Diggy, our adult males are very different in colour but we have no reason to suspect they are different morphs. Both are very beautiful, although i have to admit i prefer the lighter one on the left, my preference, but it is pretty. :)

10. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

Cool, thanks. There must be something similar in the way the smell...not that I would know that (I'm not in the business of sniffing hamsters). :)

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Uh huh, suuure. We all know you have a secret past-time ;) Oh, and welcome to HC man, glad to see you here :)

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually hamsters are from Asia as are gerbils. The jerboa is very similar to a gerbil and that is why owners of stubborn balls try to feed gerbils too them. They are very similar to what the wild caught snakes feed on in the wild.
    Of course if they fixate on the gerbils it is going to be a very expensive snake to feed!

Hmmmmm is hamster sniffing anything like toad licking! :eek:

13. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

diggy,as you haven't replied on my apology on this thread,I need to know if you acceppted it.I apologize again,it was a mistake on my part.Sorry to put this on here,but you don't have PM and my E-mail doesn't work,so that's the only way to contact you.But I don't mind for the others to see.I want them to know that it was a misunderstanding.Those excamation points did it;I'm so sorry,I didn't mean to cause any harm.Please write a reply on here or send me a PM,so I can sleep again at night,knowing that we are friends again.Thank you.

14. goldrockin_froggie

appology accepted, other members PM me before so i know it's working. When something like that happens i just up and erase posts and head out of forum town. Alot of misunderstanding are possible with typed words. The hamster was freshly thumped and i don't feed live unless thats the only thing they take. Which is not the case here. Alot of FT still have eyes opened. Another confusion and assumption. Anyway we are friends as before.

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If someone would just invent a tone-of-voice font and a sarcasm font, a lot of online misunderstandings would be avoided :rolleyes:

16. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Okay everyone ..... Time for a GROUP hug!!!!

Everyone SMILE now!

Steve :) :) :) :)

17. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

So glad to hear you are OK with everything Diggy.

Just to note, I'm an Admin and could not PM you because your have your "Receive PM" set to NO. So, when anyone tries to Private Message you, it's not an option available. It's the reason I sent you an e-mail instead of PM in the first place.

If you like, I can change your setting for you or you could go to your UserCP and change it yourself. Let me know.

Also, if you agree we can undelete your posts for you, please let us know.

And good luck with your BP. ;)

18. Dee

Dee Elite Member

;) Sorry, guys, gotta say this.... you know you're in an online forum when the thread progresses from a feisty discussion on ball python feeding to the glories of hamster-sniffing! (Personally, I find hamsters smell like rancid pee, gerbils are a little less stinky...):p

BTW, I'm with Matt... a tone-of-voice font would be a real problem-solver! :rolleyes:

19. goldrockin_froggie

thats what the emoticons are for also.

20. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

Dang it anyway, I said I'm NOT a hamster sniffer, next thing you know I've got a reputation...and I'm the new guy! This one's going to be tough to live down. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.