This Disappears When Logged In

I Done Did it Again.>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by goldrockin_froggie, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

messages deleted.....user gone

2. goldrockin_froggie

the circled areas appear to be burns any idea, seen them before??

[​IMG]

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I havent seen burns before, but I would move that heat emitter pronto...That boa will climb right up to it.....specially since there is a log right under it...and those emitters show no mercy in the burn department....I strongly suggest (again) that you move it outside the tank....good luck with your new ball python....Lyn

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I agree with Lyn,,,get that emitter out ASAP. And you paid 150.00 and got that tank !!!! incredible deal. Those bowed tanks with stand go for over 500.00. Good luck

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Your snake will fry itself alive on that heat emitter!
    They aren't very clever and will wrap themselves around it before realizing it's not a good idea... by then their skin could be so burned it might stick to the CHE and the snake can't get off.
    Either put a protective cage around it or get it out of there FAST!!!!!!!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Me too! get that emitter out of there now! It's just asking for trouble. The snake will see it as something to grab onto in order to investigate the top of the tank and will not feel the heat before it's too late. And those things get HOT!!!!!!!

7. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

The circled areas could be bites from rats?! Was she fed life prey,do you know?But what I find strange is they are all in a line.I would take her/him to the vet and see if that could be some sort of infection or something.I wouldn't wait too long.Better save than sorry.
    But the snake is a very beautiful colour,I think I've never seen such light colours on a BP.More brown than black.Or is it the pic that makes it so bright?Do you know how old she/he is?
    That would be a great thing to do,by the way,to open up your home for unwanted reptiles.A while ago I had the same thought but as I don't have the space,it stays a dream for now.But maybe one day.... :D ;)

8. goldrockin_froggie

the person didn't know age or what fed other than hamsters hopefully i can feed it differently after a few days of R&R. those couldn't be burns on the top side like that i agree. the skin is leathery and dryish in spots i have a feeling its lack of water and it was thirsty when i watered it at this persons house. i will take it out and closely exam it more. Hopefully i have a pair between my other one too and yes the head is almost whiteish as is the whole body, will take a comparision shot the other one is darker.
    oh the heat emitter wasn't plugged in since i took over she has a UTH :)

9. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I can't understand why people need to feed hamsters to their snakes! :eek: Why not stick to mice and rats?That's more natural for a BP,or am I wrong?I think it's so unnecessary to feed them hamsters.That's just my opinion.OK,mice and rats are cute,too,but hamsters!!They are more often kept as pets than the other two.Do you understand what I mean?It's like us being used to eat cows and pigs and chickens,but when you need to eat a horse,I could never do that.Know my point?

10. goldrockin_froggie

Here is a cute feeding picture looks like part of the pattern actually. and then there is a tongue shot it has a white tip(abnormal) and one fork and a ball before the white part, hurt by something, this BP is looking pretty old to me. Hopefully alot of sheds it will get better except the tongue. oh and it takes to FT!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

You want an opinion?Take it to the vet!!

12. goldrockin_froggie

it will be going to the vet for probing and health check calm down!

13. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I'm absolutely calm,no problem.I just suggested something;didn't mean to annoy you,all right?!
    If you allow me another suggestion;I would wait with the probing until you know if the snake is really healthy.Probing can be stressful to the snake.

14. goldrockin_froggie

exclamation points indicated otherwise how i read it, anyway point taken.

15. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Diggy415,

Great pic of the feeding!!!!

Steve

16. BlackJack

I think there are some "human-projected myths" about probing... IF done properly on a snake that is old/big enough, it is NOT AT ALL stressful for the snake. I've had 3 of my snakes probed and they didn't react at all to it. (They didn't even seem to notice that it was being done.)
    It has to be done carefully and gently but it does not cause any extra stress than handling -- IF done properly by someone experienced! (IMO)

As far as feeding hamsters: some people do it because their snakes are finicky and refused mice or rats. You might have to do some work if you want to convert him! Hamsters are also a lot more expensive than mice or rats.
    No matter what you feed, you should make sure it's dead first! Your feeding pic shows why: if the BP has grabbed the hamster by the butt, that leaves a chance for the hamster to bite before it suffocates. (Those marks along it's back could be bite marks) Also any live or fresh killed rodent can pass internal parasites onto your snakes... mine got tapeworms from live mice before I converted him to F/T.

Good luck with your new "kids"

17. goldrockin_froggie

this hamster was mean and therefore thumped before being introdced. I also then fed it a large rat afterwards FT, with a little wiggeling it launched from the other side of the container to get at it, im just glad it took to FT thats two BP with unknow back grounds, sweet as can be and taking to FT who could get any luckier. Anyone recommend a good spray for the snake to help with the wounds althhough the vet will have his own, i go with majority rules unless given a specific treatment by them.

18. BlackJack

I would put a little Neosporin or Polysporin ointment on them. I don't like sprays because fine mist stays in the air and it's not always healthy for people and animals to breathe.

19. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Firstly congrats on your new addition. Lovely royal.

Ok, erm where do i start? The marks on the back to me look like they could be burn marks or injury marks, although they are not overly clear because they on the black scales. There's a possibility they could be bite marks, but i don't understand how you think they would appear from dehydration? It is also likely that the marks could be from the poor shedding.. the snake looks healthy apart from that, which should get better in a few sheds if you keep the humidity up and soak during sheds.

Next thing.. i am with you Jacky, i think it is usually unnecessary to feed hamsters and such to snakes, although as someone mentioned, some can be fussy feeders and other things have to be tried for the snake to eat.
    HOWEVER, diggy, obviously the snake will accept f/t and also rats so no need to feed live hamsters after all. And i do personally find it offensive that you describe what you did to the hamster, and also the pic is disturbing - i take it the hamster is awake there since it's eyes are wide open? - not only is this, IMO, cruel, it was unneccessary to feed it in the first place and is very dangerous to the snake - in this shot the hamster's head is in perfect position to bite the snake in its defence.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok people step back and take a deep, DEEP, breath! :(

Diggy stated in the first post that the snake had been previously fed on hamsters! In trying to get the snake to feed she used what was known to be the snake's normal prey item then introduced a FT to it! This is not cruel or unusual! Her statement was
    and was in response to comments about the hamster being able to bite the snake. She was explaining that she took that precaution. No matter what type of feeder we use to feed our snakes, someone, somewhere, keeps it as a pet and finds what we do, on a day to day basis, offensive.

Lets not go at ourselves!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.