This Disappears When Logged In

I Could Be Getting a Kenyan Sand Boa.

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Zappa230, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Basically, I am probably getting a Kenyan sand boa. I have a 36x12x18 LxWxH. I need advice on the setup and care. My parents are pondering the idea. I already had the enclosure.

2. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

enough sand for the snake to bury him self. make sure it is PLAY SAND. not paver sand or construction sand.

3. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

And no pet store sand. It's just as bad.

4. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Would play sand from Home Depot work? Like the stuff for a kids sandbox? And is about 4 inches enough?

5. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

that is the correct sand. no colors just normal play sand. and while it is young 2 inches would be enough

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

That's what i use for sand-dwellers. And four inches is plenty, three would even work, two if you're trying to save sand.... One if the boa is really small.... really depends on what. but yes, four inches would work just fine.

7. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Okay. Thanks. Any feeding tips? Or any enclosure features I need?

8. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

The babies may need to start on live if you get it not already on frozen, ask the breeder what it was eating. But once they start feeding, switching to f/t is easy enough, and i would try to avoid live as much as possible, as live is dangerous for the snake. And even though they burrow, make sure to give the snake a water dish and some hides, it will be used, mabye not much, but used.

9. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Okay. What does f/t mean? I was already expecting to need a hide and water dish. What's a good temperature and humidity?

10. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Frozen/ thawed.

As for temps, i would recommend 80 cool side and 90 warm side, with a possible basking spot of 100-110 Fahrenheit if you choose to use one. Humidity should be less than 40 percent, but not less than 20 percent, but a bit higher or lower for a bit of time is fine to, as long as it gets resolved.

11. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

So ~30% humidity? And is the 100-110 basking temp the air temp. or the surface temperature of the surface?