This Disappears When Logged In

I Brought Her Home Today

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by jen87, Nov 21, 2010.

1. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

I went different way than what I discussed in my information seeking post. After calling local pet shops I could find any B.Smithi's so I researched and bought a A.avicularia or pink toe.

She's just a baby too! I bought a 10 gal. I have a peat moss mixture substrate with some added sphagnum moss. I have a piece of driftwood which goes up the side for her to climb, a clay flower pot for her to hide in, a super shallow water dish (in pics I noticed people putting pebbles in their dishes so I did too.) I also put two of my air-plants in there with her I figured if the humidity bothers them I can just remove them. So far I think we're set unless I missed something. I've seen lots of cool arboreal setups so I'm pretty excited.

I was amazed with how docile she is. I was planning on not holding her and just letting her warm up to this new place but while putting her into her tank she ran up my arm and the whole time I was trying to get her she never appeared angry or agitated.

2. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Congrats on the new pick up.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Congrats - I like the A. avicularia and the A. veriscolor both.

They will spend most or all of their time up high, and will build a web, probably in the top corner of the enclosure, where it will hang out almost all the time, so don't be surprised if the flower pot never sees any use.

Can't wait to see pictures.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations on your new pink toe, she sounds sweet, can't wait to see pictures of her. They are just so cute!

5. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

I haven't taken a pic of the tank yet - I'm still collecting things for her to climb on. I added a pic of her to "my albums" on my profile - i tried to upload it to the thread but it didn't really work. I will try again a little later ^_^

6. mld

All you have to do is click on the desired image and then copy the picture URL and paste it to the post. Real easy, if I can do it I know anyone can, I'm not very computer savvy.;)

7. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

I made a flicker account so it would be easier to upload pics. I'm a little nervous because she's doing some pre molt behavior and while I'm happy for her to molt I'm worried that this week has been to stressful on her. I tried to handle her yesterday and she wouldn't move when I gently touched her so that she'd move onto my hand. She has trouble climbing walls. and her booty/abdomen is bald.

IMG_20101125_215151 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I hope the stress from being in a new home doesn't effect the molt if that is what she is getting ready to do. she ate on monday. but hasn't even gave food a second thought since.

8. mld

If she is getting ready to molt you will want to leave her alone, stop feeding, and make sure that your humidity level is high. Humidity is very important for a easier molt. Babies will molt more often because of rapid growth. Is she making webs or staying in one spot?

9. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

Just staying one spot. Earlier in the week she made a very small web perhaps just a centimeter or so long.