This Disappears When Logged In

I Broke Down and Got Dubia.....

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by SammieLee, Mar 17, 2013.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Do you have a photo of your setup, it does sound like lack of air flow or a moisture issue!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have 2 of these: 061.jpg
    Its just the large kritter keepers with scrap book paper on the outside. and a bunch of egg crates inside.

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Never tried brown sugar, but I can vouch for oranges being an aphrodisiac lol. As long as your temps are high enough

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not sure why you're experiencing a strong sweet smell - unless there is fruit/veggies that are rotting. You should have enough air flow with that set up.

I used carrots and greens (spinach, kale, etc) chopped in the coffee grinder (that coffee grinder was awesome!) Both of those went on one plate and was usually gone the next day. There is also enough moisture in the veggies that I didn't need the cricket water. I then added crushed cereal (stale or cheap bran flakes) on a separate plate and occasionally I would add some left over veggies/greens from dinner - but that went on yet another separate plate and I made sure it was removed the next day.

Those extra things tended to get stinky fast. I used a large rubbermaid tote so i had enough room for all the egg crates to stack on one side and the food plates, which were really lids from containers, could sit flat on the other side of the tote. This made for easy cleanup.

Maybe try changing out the egg crates and see if that doesn't fix the issue. I had no smell at all. One of the many reasons I loved those as feeders. And if you have a Waffle House near you - visit them for egg crates. They have the big ones and at least the ones near me were happy to give me as many as I wanted, and would even save them for me.

5. regtuck

regtuck Member

Hi everybody. On the question of smell from the tub, the only time I have had this was when feeding sliced courgettes (zuchinni I think you call it). Their poo was very wet because of the amount of moisture in their food. Changing to less moist food and using water gel cured the bad smell. It could also be due to the fresh greens going off in the heat (and the sweet smell could be due to the veggies "over ripening". I change the fresh food twice a day to avoid this
    Hope this helps, Reg.

6. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

First so any fruits and veggies are ok it seems. I have grapefruit....Can I try that?? What about the stalk to broccoli?? Where do I draw the line at what scraps I offer??

I gave them an orange and I was shocked....they ate the entire thing and just left the peel. Have also been making my kids save apple cores. I rinse them (not sure I need to just do) and then give them to the roaches. They clean it up. Also have water crystals and a couple times a week I give them cricket food as well. I can hear lots of moving but also have seen a few dead ones. I have not moved any egg crates though to see if its just a couple or if there are more. Will probably give it a another week or so before I clean and all check then. Hopefully I start seeing babies soon.

7. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Most fruits and veggies are ok, just remember what is toxic to your herps.

Yep, they go through oranges like the grim reaper I know! Apple cores would be awesome too. And someone was talking about brown sugar? I have used it in my feed with good result. Just don't use too much of it.

As for the smell, a healthy colony should have almost a woodsy smell. It shouldn't be unpleasant but woodsy like...I use large totes and I have to clean my colonies about once every 2 months. For that small of a container you may have to clean more often. I would suggest using something a little larger though because I am willing to bet you already have babies and they will overcrowd very quickly.

Even something like a 10 gallon aquarium would work, a 20L or tote works better. I got mine at Dollar General for 10 dollars lid and all. It's important to remember that each female can produce 20-40 nymphs a month so overcrowding in a small area can become an issue.

8. jarich

jarich Elite Member

A few things I think should be pointed out here. First, fish food is for fish. ;) It is a pretty bad food to use for your roaches as a gut load for the simple reason that it is very high in phosphorous. Most fish foods have a minimum of 1% phosphorous, which may not seem like much, but is when compared to the calcium content. By gut loading with fish food you are actually reducing the Ca:p ratio, which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

Second, try not to clean out the poo from the bottom of the enclosure very often. The tiny new babies eat the excrement of the adults and gain their nutrition that way. Cleaning out the poo repeatedly means you are sort of limiting the reproduction cycle of your roaches.

Third, if you feed citrus, take the peels off and dont feed too much. While they will likely not eat the peel anyway, citrus contains an oil that both reduces their reproductive abilities and in high enough amounts can actually kill them. They are smarter than us humans and likely wont eat enough to kill themselves, so Im not trying to be all doom and gloom about it. If you take the peels off, the fruit itself doesnt contain that much. Citrus fruit does have lots of sugar and moisture, which is why your roaches go crazy for it. Again, I wouldnt recommend brown sugar as a gut load. Your goal with food is to give your roaches what is healthiest for your reptile, and brown sugar isnt it.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Third are you sure they are dead roaches? Are they flat?
    When roaches shed it comes off in one peice and many people think its a dead one but really its just an empty shell.

10. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

When i fed the orange I cut it in half so they didn't have to eat the peel. Is that good enough or do I have to remove it? My plan was just to add an orange or something similar once a week. Thanks for all the info.

11. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

The ones I have seen are roaches not just skin. I looked to make sure. I still hear lots of movement it the tub though.... With 100 hopefully the few dead I have seen wont hurt to much. As long as there are not a bunch more dead that is :/

12. CapitalCanadian

CapitalCanadian New Member

I live in Canada and I am dying to get some Dubia. I have searched high and low for them because I recently bought a Panther Chameleon from a breeder who had raised it on Dubia, and he is not fond of crickets. I have also have no local source for crickets, and they are often much more of a hassel to breed. If anyone can point me in a direction to acquire even just a few I would appreciate it :) Please just pm

Regards,

CC

13. CapitalCanadian

CapitalCanadian New Member

Another thing that I might add is cat or dogfood. I would never feed my roaches dog or cat food, simply because I would not want my reptile to also consume it. Remember, our feeders are just a vehicle of nutrition to our pets. I have watched videos of people feeding their roaches cat food and wondered why? Protein can be obtained from vegetables such as romaine lettuce, which also contains more calcium than an orange BTW. However, I have noticed that nymphs tend to eat cat food/dog food before eating fruits and veggies. When considering that they eat the frass (poo) at the bottom of the container it perhaps means that they need a higher protein diet for growth.

I also recently read a study which stated that Male roaches prefer a higher carbohydrate diet than female roaches so that they are more attractive during mating. What this could mean is that productivity may increase if the males are fed a high carb diet before being introduced to the females.

Carotenoids are also another area of interest when discussing roach food. Oranges, grapefruit, and carrots contain high amount of it and roaches seem to love it. Im sure our reptiles would as well, and its an excellent nutrient.

Any thoughts on what I have posted? I would like to hear other peoples opinions or experiences.

Thanks,

CC

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Roaches are illegal to own in Canada so it will be impossible for you to find some through a conventional means. Your best bet would be to talk to the breeder you got your Cham from and see if they would be willing to sell you some adults that you can use to establish a colony. Then make sure to keep it hidden.

15. nirotorin

nirotorin New Member

Don't forget you can feed them the crusty ends of bread.

Also it makes no sense Canada doesn't allow any roaches. As if dubia could even survive there. Even more ridiculous than the U.S.A. not being allowed stick insects.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Stick bugs are illegal in the us?

17. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Then there are alot of illegal stick bugs in this counry...

18. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Probably just a specific type or two of stick bugs. That being said, There surely are many illegal stick bugs in the country.