This Disappears When Logged In

I Broke Down and Got Dubia.....

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by SammieLee, Mar 17, 2013.

1. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Bought 100 adult dubia yesterday. I haven't got any food ordered. I bought them from someone local. Last night I gave them water crystals, a carrot and cricket food. I have dog food. What do I mix with it? I know if I searched I could find a recipe but really I don't have a lot of time today.... I know fruits and veggies.....any? Apples, oranges, sweet potato, greens??? What about the vains I cut out of the greens for the dragons....can I feed that to the roaches? That is what I have on hand at the moment. Will any of that work? I am cover a tub now so they can have dark.....already had clear ones so they will work for now :) I have read the care sheet but need a refresher so I will read it when I get them in the dark tub....

2. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Essentially feed them the same thing you would feed your dragon. I often just take the old food out of the dragon enclosure in the morning and put it in with the roaches. Id recommend only adding in the dog food occasionally, as in once a month. Too much protein in their diet and they start to build up uric acid.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I feed a mix of grains and dry milk and fish food. Then add the scraps of fruits and veggies left over when chopping up salads for the animals.
    Then water crystals of course.
    I was told that brown sugar and oranges are like aphrodisiacs to these guys-makes the population breed faster. Dont know if thats true though.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh I also feed them stale cereal, chips, crackers, etc. I just put everything in a bag and smash it into crumbs and mix it with their grains stuff. Basically they are my garbage disposals.
    Make sure all food gets placed on plates. Dry stuff on one plate, fruits and veggies on another.Water crystals by themselves. This will make it much easier to clean.

5. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I thought if it was dragon safe I could feed it but I kept seeing people feeding dog food and had to ask.... If its not good for them I will avoid it. My plan is to order some food from the roach guy web site.... Is that ok???

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Just throw them your table scraps. That's what i would do...

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah its fine. People add dog food as roaches need some protein. I use fish food instead. You could also look into this: http://www.stickytonguefarms.com/in...ategory_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=81
    I think I am going to add this stuff into my feeder insect food as it is supposed to go awesome with this supplement I have been using: http://www.stickytonguefarms.com/in...ategory_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=81

Supposedly these are the most complete supplements to date. I don't know if this is true but I do know my tortoises seem more active after I switched to the miner-all supplements.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It is cheaper to just give the roaches whatever food isnt going to be used.

9. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

The biggest thing to remember in feeding roaches is mold is an enemy. Whatever dry mixed food you use, make sure it contains nothing that will mold. If you put fruits or veggies in there remember to remove them in about 12 hours. I keep an orange in with my roaches and I keep it in a warm part of the container because it seems to keep it from going moldy..why I don't know.

I always figure I have to spend money on food anyhow so I usually keep my eyes peeled for baby cereal on clearance (oatmeal with banana seems to be a favorite). or I mix oatmeal, a dog food (< 10% of the total mixture), stale cereal and because my kids love dried banana's and apples I usually throw a few of those in there. I will also occasionally use some alfalfa pellets or chicken mash in there. *Watch preservatives though...remember your dragons are what they eat!!*

If you have any cricket chow or dried type beardie food you aren't going to use they can eat that too!

I mix all of my food in a coffee grinder bought at a yard sale for a buck. LOL works like a charm!! But for odd veggies I kinda use whatever I have left over. Like last night we had strawberries so the roaches got a couple of the tops. The things I find get eaten the most are: apples (cores are fine), pears,bananas, peaches, strawberries, carrots, dandelions and any greens dragons eat.

Good luck with your new Roaches! They are alot easier in the long run then crickets for sure. Just remember that babies eat the frass (big roach poop basically) so don't keep it too clean! Have you seen any morph yet? The adults are soooo pretty when they morph!

10. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I do find the freshly molted Dubia to look so cool. I feed mine a mix of dog food, dry milk, fish flakes, cereal, and I think one other thing that I can't remember. All of that is combined and ground up in an old coffee grinder. I'm nearing the end of my supply though so I will be trying a different combination next time I make it. I basically just used things that I had around and wasn't using. I also feed them oranges sliced up. They won't eat the peel but if you eat an orange yourself slice it off the peel and toss in the peels. The Dubia will clean the peels off overnight. You have to make sure to remove any fruits and vegetables after about 24 hours because the mold is deadly. Another thing that I have found they love is squash and zucchini. They destroy it overnight so there is nothing left. I haven't really noticed them do the same thing to dry food so I'm not sure if that is normal. Greens go untouched as far as I can tell. Of course you need your water crystals also. Keep dry food, water crystals, and fruits separated. Just use 3 feeding trays so nothing comes in contact with the other.

11. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I use lids to things like sour cream or small marg lid for water crystals. That works really well. They are cheaper to buy off ebay and stuff like that though instead of petsmart

12. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Ok I will use mainly fruit and veggie scraps.... with 4 kids it shouldnt be a problem. They seem to like the veins from the greens that I gave them. I do have another question though.....I thought they didnt smell.....When I open the tub I think it stinks. My husband told me he didnt think it smelled to bad. Maybe I am just extra sensitive to that kind of thing but I think they stink. What can I do?? At first I thought it was because i put everything I got in the box.....so I cleaned it so no poo or anything.....I used they egg crates they came with because they didn't look that dirty.... I wonder if the smell in in those?? I know with crickets I can use them until they look dirty with no problem so I figured it would be the same with dubia. At least I can not smell it when the tub is closed up.

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Only time I smell anything from mine is when it's coming from the vegetable matter I put in. And mine at least do seem to go nuts over citrus. Oranges or grapefruit are readily accepted, as are any other fruits or veggies. Heck, I even threw an old stale bagel in with them and they ate the whole thing eventually. Was gonna take it out at one point, till I picked it up and found it full of babies!!

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is the tub you are using sealed or do you have an air opening?

15. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

It has screen in the lid.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

OK I thought maybe you were lacking air flow might be the reason for the odor. Mine don't have much of an odor.

17. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Ok I am thinking it's just me.... LOL I guess I will just get over it :)

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No my roach colony smells sickeningly sweet and I can't get the odor to go away. I have tried changing their diet, more airflow, changing boxes but nope they still think up the house. So now I keep them outside!

19. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Well so far I can not smell them unless I open the tub.... I hope I dont because in Mo keeping them outside is not an option.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

In a month or so it won't be an option here but I don't know what else to do. Also none of my animals will eat them.