This Disappears When Logged In

I Am an Awful MOM...PLEASE HELP (Think Buddy May Die Tonight)

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Chunka, May 20, 2011.

1. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

I am so speechless, heartbroken, and this is not me to not properly carefully care.

I've worked with Dr Doug Mader (Internationally Rec. Herp Vet in Keys) though usually on Turtles and stranded sea mammals... I've rescued wild Iguanas in cold snaps, I've volunteered on countless boards for Pet Rescues and managed a multi-million dollar animal practice by the time I turned 19.... My reputation, credentials speak for themselves but I am just SHOCKED at this and the physics are just impossible I thought... I'm still in a state of shock I think.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear this but had suspected that this would be the answer.

We all made mistakes starting out. Regrets are fine but don't overdo it. Just learn something from it.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh no! I'm so sorry that this happened to Oz!
    Very hard to believe, but that photo says it all!
    Very sad indeed! :( Again I'm so sorry for your loss!
    I hope that buddy is ok! Keep us posted please.

4. h20dragon2010

h20dragon2010 Elite Member

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I've been following your thread and had hoped for a happy ending. I pray that you can find peace.
    Rest in peace dear Oz.

5. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

I had as well, just hoped I was wrong and that Buddy would of looked more engorged and had some sort of paralysis. I was wrong on both accounts.

She is still a bit stressed at the moment, I'm trying to hydrate and offer greens to her as well. I'm wondering if she really needs calcium now or what her body needs to recover from a feeding so large and unprecedented for herself. I really do not know.

6. mld

Giving her nice basking temps from 105-110 will aid in digestion! I have no idea how well they digest bone, but I would keep an eye out for impaction!

7. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Poor Oz, and poor Buddy too! This must have been just horrible for you :( I'm sorry for your loss.

8. brandon

brandon Elite Member

Hey Chunka,

I am very sorry to hear the outcome and this was an honest mistake.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Ditto on what Merlin said. Don't beat yourself up. Mistakes happen. Just learn from them.

10. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I'm so sorry things turned out this way.
    My heart is breaking for you :(

11. cgenebrewer

cgenebrewer Member

I am still curious as to how he was able to get to Oz, what exactly is separating the two enclosures?

12. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

That's what I was wondering myself. Did I miss that? So sorry for what happened! I have never heard of that at all! I thought that you would have found him maybe beat up from a fight. Everyone makes mistakes, please learn from them like the others have said.

13. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

Divider was OSB w/ L bracket for security went length and height.

14. mld

I believe OSB is the same thing as particle board!

15. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

It was a low grade Plywood Divider, Oz would climb on that to another ledge, the divided half had two ledges within itsself

16. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

How is your beardie doing today?

17. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

Doesn't seem to stressed. I soaked her today, no defecation. I also fed her little kale lots of collard and dandelions with some squash. She ate a good amount then was basking. Waiting today to see her go to the bathroom.

I know when I fed my Mastiffs raw meat and whole chickens because the bones are soft they digested very well but that was a dog built to be a carnivore. So I'm curious how the bones break down in her. I have the basking at 107 and the cool end (4 1/2 ' long) 86. I'm soaking her 2 times a day for about 20 minutes each.. In the evening I lay with her on my chest she seems to get relaxed and warm on her belly the rhythmic breathing seems to soothe if one can be soothed? lol She just usually settles down and will nap for an hour or two.

18. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh my gosh, I've been away for a few days and just found your thread. I'm so very sorry for your loss, and I hope Buddy continues to recover. Wow...I wouldn't have believed it was even possible. :(

19. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Well, at least you know what happened and can stop searching for Oz. It's horrible, but you can't do anything about it now. Try not to beat yourself up about it.
    Hopefully your BD will recover!

20. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Hydration is the key here to get her past this successfuly. Been thru this with mine when I first got him from someone else that felt bad he was getting rid of him so he fed him a pinky the day before giving to me. Not a real bad thing to do, but is, if they are not properly hydrated. My poor guy prolapsed everytme he went to go to the bathroom from straining, untill we finaly got him rehydrated.
    I would suggest that you get a small needless syringe and get some water into him on a daily basis untill his stools look as they should. This will also help her in the digestion of those bones and not take any more unnessecary toll on her.

Sorry for the loss and wishing you and your beardie, well.