This Disappears When Logged In

I Am an Awful MOM...PLEASE HELP (Think Buddy May Die Tonight)

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Chunka, May 20, 2011.

1. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

Buddy and Oz (Iguana) are sep. I left for 40 minutes I returned and Oz is missing (no HUGE surprise but none the less.)

Buddy is Black-bearding (He doesn't usually this much) His stomach is large with left side hard/swollen

I carried him to tub to relieve himself while I inspect the area for missing Oz...Buddy then has Diarrhea all over me (First time ever)

Chewed up mealworms greens some red stuff at first though peppers or tomatoes perhaps it was blood.

I think Buddy 18 +/- " ate Oz and I still can't believe this...Oz is FAST and hides well Plus I have secured to what I THOUGHT while in their temp living habitats could not get to either no matter what. Buddy never tried to before.

Is there any home treatment to save Buddy if this is the case? Oz is/was 14.5 inches and I'm in tears so please scold later if you want just how can I salvage Buddy now?

the 24 hour vet in RI I can't afford...ironically....pet insurance was to be mailed in monday for all three.

Again any tips/idea for homecare

Thank you in advance!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: Oz May Be Gone Scold Later Please....read This and See if You Can Help

Is buddy your bearded dragon! I would think that there would be some sort of mess if buddy decided to attack Oz, it wouldn't be I clean gulp!

3. mld

Did you feed red peppers, or tomatoes to buddy? If its blood, I would see a vet!
    Another question, how can they get to each other! Are their enclosure open?

4. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

I don't know how they got to each other at all.... I'm speechless. (Again I will address that part later...I'm still PRAYING that OZ did not get eaten by Buddy but that is my best lead given the things I"m seeing) Also, as above stated a vet isn't an option at this moment. I called 24 hour, they said OK to wait unless I see blood in stool and I can't confirm or deny...buddy is still active moving no loss of legs yet, not lethargic but its only 2 hours post "eating" which I think this was....I am in shock I think quite literally and have been teared up and sick over this.

He did have red peppers with some tomatoes. I thought that is what it was but I'm guessing it may have been blood tinged...perhaps force of diarrhea or maybe I'm wrong and it was the food and he was stressed...but I haven't seen him THAT stressed in a long time!

but here are two more photos to see his stomach ....

I know he is laying and it is hard, but I don't want to handle him much unless otherwise told.

Rectum area plus swollen gut

2011-05-20_19-23-19_159.jpg

Swollen side
    2011-05-20_19-23-37_860.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

I'm looking high and low...

This was an update on the BG side.

I don't know how they got to each other at all.... I'm speechless. (Again I will address that part later...I'm still PRAYING that OZ did not get eaten by Buddy but that is my best lead given the things I"m seeing) Also, as above stated a vet isn't an option at this moment. I called 24 hour, they said OK to wait unless I see blood in stool and I can't confirm or deny...buddy is still active moving no loss of legs yet, not lethargic but its only 2 hours post "eating" which I think this was....I am in shock I think quite literally and have been teared up and sick over this.

He did have red peppers with some tomatoes. I thought that is what it was but I'm guessing it may have been blood tinged...perhaps force of diarrhea or maybe I'm wrong and it was the food and he was stressed...but I haven't seen him THAT stressed in a long time!

but here are two more photos to see his stomach ....

I know he is laying and it is hard, but I don't want to handle him much unless otherwise told.

Rectum area plus swollen gut

2011-05-20_19-23-19_159.jpg

Swollen side
    2011-05-20_19-23-37_860.jpg

Attached Files:

6. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Were they housed together?

7. mld

I really can't see buddy eating oz whole! There would be evidence like a lot of mess from being torn apart, a beaded dragon is not like a snake and able to eat a whole lizard without evidence! He may have gotten a let or tail but not the whole Iguana!
    For some reason these lizards are getting out and that is not good!

8. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

There would be some kind of mess and signs of an attack. I wouldn't see it as being a possibility for Buddy to eat Oz without any signs of that happening. Sorry for this happening and that you can find an answer.

9. DimitrisDaisy

That's true, probably Oz just escaped and is hiding someplace. I've heard of plenty of iguanas escaping! Keep a look out for him in your house; check under and behind things. And what are your temperatures for your bearded dragon? Set up? The improper digestion can be from improper temps or parasites.

10. mld

Could buddy be a girl and be gravid! That would explain the large belly!
    Bearded Dragon Sexing (Pogona vitticeps)
    If not it sounds like an impaction! Is the vent swollen at all!

11. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

4 adults looked everywhere and it is to ironic to feel this hardness on buddy unless the mealworms suddenly impacted him.

I am speechless none the less. I do not know HOW Oz would of gotten out or over to Buddy....that part I'm the awful mom I can't figure it out and I didn't stop it. so I am praying for a miracle . My father and I felt his side photoed above and it is two very hard rounded lumps....w/ a swollen rectum. I'm afraid to keep handling Buddy but I think I need to keep soaking him...(Only other thing I was trying to think of what if all this time He was a She and I'm wrong would I feel large eggs suddenly on one side...that sounds to far fetched for me. )

I can envision Buddy eating an iguana whole it just battles what I know of physics...it took him 40 minutes to eat a piece of collard green other night, plus Oz is so fast, he would of put himself into a safe spot (Towards ceiling out of the way) This just seems out of a dream and I am so lost.

12. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

I will B R B w/ 2 photos of and Buddy's temps are 95/100 right now.

13. DimitrisDaisy

How are you measuring that? Dial, strip, or digital with probe? If you are using anything other than a dial with probe, you will not be getting accurate measurements!

14. mld

If thats the basking temps you should raise the temps up to 105 for the basking!
    Are you using a particulate type of substrate?

15. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

No they were not. Buddy's Enclosure is a very large one Bottom level belongs to sheldom the russian tortoise.. we are constructing a new adult habitat for Oz...

so we have it divided in half w/ OSB. Oz can scale that so fast and likes to be on the top near the ceiling of the enclosure...

I'm so fuzzy in my head with stress..

16. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

On the branch for basking it has gotten as hot as 110 but is usually steady at 104-106

17. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

Probe x 3 spots on each side.

Slate Tile for floor plus I have an infrared digital

18. DimitrisDaisy

Okay, so tell me if I'm worng, but You had a large enclosure divided in half, a russian tortoise on one side with the beardie, and Oz on the other? And the divider didn't reach all the way up to the top, so Oz could climb over?

19. mld

Did you look inside the hip waders, maybe he fell inside? He seemed to like hiding on them!

If you can hold buddy on your hand or a flat surface and lift his tail gently toward his head and take a picture!

20. Chunka

Chunka Elite Member

Sheldon on bottom, next floor up is the divided floor and the ceiling is removable (L brackets/screws so the OSB reaches it and is in snug then secured again w/ L brackets. )

We had to recut the OSB a few times until we had it just right....and apparently we are missing something or .....something..