This Disappears When Logged In

Hypo Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by savedeafdogs, Mar 8, 2013.

1. savedeafdogs

savedeafdogs Member

So, I just got this guy the other day from someone on Craigslist. The post said he's Hypo, and his colors are gorgeous, but I wanted your opinion. Is he a hypo? Unfortunately I've never seen a full grown Brazilian Rainbow Boa in person other than this one (none of my local pet stores have adults), but I wanted to know if he might make a good mating project. Anything to keep in mind when picking a good male or female? are specific markings undesirable or more highly looked for? And lastly does anyone know how difficult breeding hypos are? (I already breed Panther and Oustalet Chameleons, but Brazilian Rainbow Boas with all their morphs are a whole different type of breeding project) Any information is great, thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Don't know much about rainbow boa's but that is one gorgeous snake. I love how the rings on his back are, my brb's ring are connected or have a gap in them.

3. cbd101

cbd101 New Member

Does appear to be hypo, mine have deep orange spots with redish orange skin, that one appears to have the same color spots as skin color.

Cbd101

4. savedeafdogs

savedeafdogs Member

reeleep- thanks, he's got some nice circles :)
    cbd101- Thats a good point, his markings are the same color as his skin through his whole body.

Anyone have an opinion on breeding rainbow boas?
    Whats the availability like around you?
    View attachment 23608

5. Tymonster

Tymonster Active Member

I don't know much about them but holy god almighty that's a pretty animal..

6. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Yes, great pickup but IMO is not a hypo. Does not have the hypo coloring or the reduction in dark outlines. Many normals will have dorsal patterns and background end up the same color.

7. savedeafdogs

savedeafdogs Member

The more I learn the more I are what you mean. People say hypos have chocolate brown markings but his look as dark as normal, that's what looked off to me. Glad I talked him down in price, feels like a pretty fair trade now that I know he probably isn't hypo. Realistically, what's the chance he is het for hypo? Is there a way to tell at all?

8. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

That probably was the miscommunication. Maybe even what the previous owner understood incorrectly from where he got the BRB from.

Only one way to know, breed him to either a Hypo Female or a het Hypo female.