This Disappears When Logged In

Hyperion is a Jerk. He Should Just Eat.

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by YellowOctopus, Jun 30, 2011.

1. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Title of the thread says it all. His temps are perfect, ranging from 87-89F to occasionally 92F (he's much more active throughout his gradient on days when it gets up to 92F). He's not blue, he's not even darker than usual, so I don't think it's an upcoming shed. His cage is clean, he's passed all physical examinations I've given him. He has water, his humidity stays 25-35% at all times.

But he won't eat. The last time he ate was 6/18 for a friend who was taking care of him while I was out of town. Since, he's refused two pinkie rats and a fuzzy rat.

Any ideas about what's wrong? Any suggestions about what to do next? Tips for braining a fuzzy rat?

Thanks in advance.

2. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Patience :) Trust me I know how you feel. It's probably just a bit of stress. Perhaps you are around too much, or there aren't enough hides, or Hyperion just isn't hungry enough to deal with attacking food yet. Chances are you are doing nothing wrong, Hyperion will eat when he is hungry. My Fluffy hasnt eaten since March 2nd, and sure it gets aggravating. But, she isn't loosing weight, and now I have Roxie to make sure the rat doesn't go to waste lol. So I will be patient, and I will be more stubborn than my ball python.

Don't worry, you will win eventually. If the conditions are right like you say, there is no reason Hyperion will starve himself.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

are you doing a lot of handling?

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

It has only been two weeks, nothing to worry about unless he is losing weight....I take it he is still a little guys as per the size of food you are using

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Patience, patience, patience. He will eat. Try covering the cage with a large towel (not covering lights), and only disturb to change water/substrate. If you can leave him in a quiet room for about 7 days and try again. Good luck.

You could also try placing your prey item and Hyperion in a small brown paper lunch bag that is staple shut over night. He may feel more secure if he can not see any distractions. Just do not place him directly under the lights or over a heat source since he won't be able to thermo-regulate normally since he is in the bag. I know this works for some of my more skittish baby snakes.

6. YellowOctopus

Thanks for all the replies.

Merlin- I've been handling about 3-4 times per week.

missabrat- I'll see what I can do about finding a scale. Do you have any recommendations? He's a little over three feet now, and yeah, he's still pretty little. He's only getting fuzzy rats.

David- I'll give it a shot. Do you recommend trying this before going to braining or feeding live? I used to put his prey item on a paper towel in one of the hides in his cage and he'd eat it- should I try this again? I switched away from doing that so I could see him "yawn" afterwards as a way to check his mouth. He is pretty skittish, he hides if I walk into the room and he's out of a hide.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Try backing off on the handling until he eats for you.

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Do as Merlin says first and that may work. Always go for what.you know...if he ate while in one of his hides, go back to doing that. Then, if he refuses to eat try the paper bag, then try braining. ONLY after all other avenues have been tried failed at least once should you even think about offering live- in fact, if he is not eating now is the opportune time to convert to f/t for good.

9. YellowOctopus

He ate. I gave him the last rat pinkie I had, and it was pretty small, even for a pinkie. But he ate once I set it in his hide. I wonder if, because gophers are burrowers, they're more comfortable eating when they're hidden. From now on, though, I guess I'll be feeding him where he can hide. Thanks for all the help, everyone!