This Disappears When Logged In

Hydroponic Dandelions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoness, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

it's danedelion season! Usually, I just cut or pick the leaves, wash them, and make a salad, but in prep for going on a road trip, I decided to try picking the whole plant, roots and all, and putting it in a cup of water like any other cut flower. At the time, I was only hoping to prolong the time before they wilted away and died by a few days.

After thinking on it some more, I decided to give hydroponics a shot. I already keep a circulating pool for my bearded dragon, so it was simple to put the dandelion plants in a mesh or net pot (which I keep handy for my carnivorous plant hobby) and just stick the pot in her pool. Now she can munch greens on her own schedule, and a few leaves do show signs of munching.

At first, all of the leaves died off, but within A week, new leaves were growing back. Dandelions have a number of qualities that are them ideal for this project. They are very hardy, and will grow in almost any conditions. Mine have no light other than the light supplied by the bulbs used for the bearded dragon. No fancy grow lights. Add to that their good nutritional value, and they are perfect!

Since the bearded dragon occasionally poops in her pool, they get a brief bit of fertilizer before I clean it all out. So far the experiment has been running about 3 weeks, and with good results. I'm hoping I can get a steady crop of dandelions stable to last through winter for her. I'll share some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to do so from an iPad.

Rich likes this.
  2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've tried planting the seeds to no avail.
    I would like to have flowers all year around. My Uros love them.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can't grow anything from seed, so I figured using a whole plant would work better.

5. kriminaal

I might have to try that out. I'll be gone for a week and a half this summer and they need to eat.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suspect that just the plain water will not be enough in the long haul. Once they use their stored nutrients they may yellow and die off. But I have never tried it so let us know how you fare!

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well as fond as she is of pooping in her water pool, they get some fertilizer before I get to cleaning it, even if only a couple hours until I am home from work, so who knows? Between that and having really hard water here (barely legal water) they will probably get all the nutrients they need. They are dandelions After all, lol. I will keep you guys appraised of how it turns out. I'm not averse to soaking them overnight in a Cup of organic fertilizer once a week if they need it, even that would be easier than replenishing a pre cut salad every day that just wilts, uneaten, most of the time.

kriminaal likes this.
  8. kriminaal

Yea that might work too. Wouldn't want to put any fertilizer in the water as it will get ingested.
    Keep us updated.

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Home - Montecito Urban Farms
    Been looking at these for a couple years now, everytime I go to Café Luna for a fantastic sandwich and cup of tea :)

Ive been planning on using it for some local wild flowers to feed my Sceloporus as they have been noted to eat blossoms now and again :)

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Those look pretty cool!