This Disappears When Logged In

Hydronastes gigas

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by El SD Fan, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El SD Fan

El SD Fan Banned User

I prolly spelled the latin wrong. I cant get a clear answer as to whether its "Hydrodynastes" or "Hydronastes." anyways, that is not the reason i am posting. i am posting because i am planning on getting one of these positively lovely creatures and was wondering if there is any special husbandry tips i should know about. I have heard that they can have quite a nasty disposition, but are "harmless" if they do tag you. I am not planning on handling the animal anyways. i jsut think they are beautiful animals and would be a wonderful addition to my collection. Just posting for any possible tips or warnings.
    Thanks for your time,
    Danielle

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Hydros do have a bad rep,,,,,but are extremely pretty animals. Research as much as you can prior to getting one or pm me and I'll swing by Newport News for ya with some great stuff.

3. Dawson

Dawson Active Member

They are very pretty, and typically have a very strong feeding response. Their venom should not be taken lightly, as they are fairly large, startlingly fast and quite capable of delivering a good bite. Cases of significant envenomation have been reported and really needs to be carefully considered before bringing one into your home. With any venom, anaphylaxis is a real concern as well. You can't always keep the snake contained, there are going to be times you will need to handle it. Even venomous snakes sometimes need an eyecap removed.

D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.