This Disappears When Logged In

Hydrofarm Thermostat? Or...

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by purplemuffin, Mar 6, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Since I'm planning on buying/building the new enclosures soon and using the flexwatt heat tape, I'm really curious about thermostats. I hear a lot of people say Hydrofarm is good, while others say don't get anything less than a herpstat pro...

I understand not to go cheap on important products, but I also know with some products the cheaper ones can work just as well for the general purpose.

If anyone here uses specific thermostats/rheostats/dimmers/whatever and they love what they use..Please tell me! I'd love to know. I'll save up the money for the big stuff if I need do, but it's always nice to know if there is a middle ground-I'm not looking for a $10 dollar thermostat, LOL but maybe something less than $120!

Info:
    I'll have two 4x2x1.5 cages and one 8x2x1.5 cage... The room they would stay in stays a pretty relative temperature, maybe slight differences in summer or winter. Animals are handled often and care is done/animals are observed every day. Would be for a ball python, rainbow boa, and a common boa....

Thanks!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I never heard of hydrofarm until this thread. I am using a Herpstat (the regular one, not the pro). It works perfect. The Helix units are equally as good. (Some would argue they are better.)

3. purplemuffin

There were some people talking about them at the expo, and one of my friends at my college uses it. I have no idea though! That's what the thread is for! :)

question--what's it mean when they say 'grounded cords'?

4. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I use the Helix thermostats, and they are pretty much perfect. Digital display, nice long cords, and its keeps the temps perfect so long as the heat sources are strong enough for the outside temp. I'm sure any of the 3 you are considering would do just fine. They all do the job well, I don't think there is a huge difference so long as they are all high quality.

Grounded cord refers to a cord with 3 prongs in the plug, not just 2.

5. purplemuffin

Took some googling but now I understand, grounded cords basically make it safer? Okay...

So I just have to save up an additional 120+shipping on top of the money for caging to afford the herpstat with grounded cords or 136+shipping for the Helix. That'll just mean waiting maybe another month or two before making the purchase I guess.

Question--if I were to wire the heat tape for the cages, what if I were to want to add another cage and another strip of heat tape? Would it be difficult to soldier it to the rest of the wires?

6. purplemuffin

Does anyone here use Ranco thermostats? I hear mixed reviews on them, but everyone says they do a good job, just don't come with as many options(like night drop and stuff)

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have a helix and its GREAT. I was super lucky and found it used on Craigs list. Its something like a $200 unit. Top of the line.

For my other tank I have a simple zoo med thermostat. $40. I have my digital thermometer probe tied to its thermostat probe so I know what the temp is, and I just dial it to where it sits where I want it. A little more figuring out, since it doesn't list actual temp on the thermostat unit, but once you dial it in, its fine.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have several of the Zoo Med Repti-temp 500R thernmostats and love them!

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No, just do it like I show in this article:

Wiring Heat Tape

We also have an article on how to wire it to a dimmer switch.

10. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I was hard pressed to purchase a herpstat. My next on probably will be. Currently I am using a thermostat from big Apple herp and I have no problems yet. I considered zoo med just because I wanted a simple one but I have heard concerns of their accuracy, I'm not fond of too much from zoo led period.

As for the grounded cords. If you stat it heat wtape uses grounsed cords I would get the grounded one, if no I wouldn't bother.