This Disappears When Logged In

Hydra

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by iturnrocks, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

In one of my vernal pool invert tanks, I have recently noticed 20+ hydra. They are similar to jellyfish in that they have stinging tentacles that they use to catch smaller organisms. Rather than free floating they attach themselves to the side of the tank. They are about 4-6 mm at this time. No idea how big this species will get, but I did read a similar species gets 30mm. Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Interesting, post photos for us as it develops. I'm curious to see what it will turn out to look like.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

You post some very interesting creatures. Thanks for sharing. :)

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Fascinating little creatures! They are really unusual. I too would love to watch them as they develop and see how they turn out. Thanks for sharing :)

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow cool pics. i agree with the others. i'd love to see what they look like as they get bigger. :)

6. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

it's amazing all of the things you can find in a simple vernal pool........it's also amazing that things that live in a vernal pool are widely distributed as an undisbuted and acclaimed "first pet" for millions of kids. I know that sea monkeys were my first pet, and triops soon followed. Now, i culture brine shrimp as food......IMAGINE THAT! lol :)

nice pics...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.