This Disappears When Logged In

Hybrid Pythons

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Ipanda, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Ok Python Lovers! I have heard a rumor, that a ball python/burmese mix was at one time produced.... Mr Bob Clark, the wonderful man he is, confirmed this rumor in an email, saying he'd seen a picture of one, but he didnt know much about it... This has further sparked my interest in hybrid snakes, I dont want one... or want to breed one, But Ball pythons and burms are my 2 faves... I have searched and searched and searched for evidence of this burm/ball mix.... but have found nothing, not even a trace.... So, My curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I was wondering if any of my fellow herpers help me track down some info on it

Thank you TONS!

Char

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi Char
    I heard about this on a German forum over here. The first version I heard was that he put the ball python into the female albino Burm terrarium while he was cleaning the BP terrarium. Of course he didn't expect them to copulate, but they did, and he got a clutch of "Burmballs." There's no mention of this story on his homepage, so now I'm wondering if he bred them purposely.
    Here's a link to his photo gallery (scroll down to the middle):
    (There were even a few albino Burmballs in the clutch)
    Adobe Web-Fotogalerie

His website is Riesenschlangen und Pythons but it's all in German.
    He's charging almost US$7,000.00 for a baby burmball.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't agree with hybridizing but those snakes are gorgeous. I wonder how large they are going to get.

4. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Thank you for the link... I think its very unnatural and odd, but its really interesting... your awesome!

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Bateaters own the hybrids.

Theres burmballs, superballs(bloodxball),bateaters(retic x burm), a carpetxchondo forget the name of it, The wall(woma x ball),angolan x ball and several others i forget.

But bats are my fav.

6. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Wow, I didnt know there were so many hybrids! Ill have to start checkin out the others.... Got any links to good hybrid sites?

7. MoogleBass

NERD has some pics of them, other than that mostly forums

8. MoogleBass

There is a ball python morph called woma, that IS NOT a hybrid. The woma x ball is called the WALL

9. MoogleBass

10. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

WOW, How stunning! Thank you so much for the pictures and the links!

Thanks again,
    Char

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I second Lacey's remarks. I don't really approve of the idea of producing hybrids for money, but that doesn't mean they're not gorgeous snakes. I also wonder how big they'll get. There's a big size difference between a ball python and a Burmese!

12. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Yea I think the hybrids are yea, somethin else, I dont really like the idea either, but they are absolutely stunning... I actually just herd about them from bob clark, and I have an strange interest for oddities... To put it flat out... Im a really strange person lol

13. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Wow. They really are gorgeous. I do wonder how this will affect their care, size and temperament, though. For instance, with a carpondo, do you care for it like a carpet python or a chondro? And are they going to take the best aspects of both snakes, or the worst?

I guess I agree with rest of you. Not a good breeding practice, but lovely animals.

14. MoogleBass

Guess im the odd ball and want to breed retic to bp or and sdretic to a bp. Size is about med i think, cause i dont think it unlocks a super gene like the liger. If it did that WOW that would be one **** of a snake.

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

LOL, that would be something else. Just a tidbit though, ligers actually get that size because they lack a growth-inhibitor gene, not because they gain a new one. In tigers the growth-inhibitor is in the males and in lions the female carries it. Breed a female tiger with a male lion, and it has no growth-inhibitor gene, thus the monstrous size. It's something like that anyway. Breed a male tiger with a female lion and you get what's called a "tigon", which is average size.

As for hybrid breeding, I don't have a problem with it if you just want to breed two of your snakes to keep a hybrid baby. It's when hybrids start getting produced by breeders to be distributed that I start having a problem with it. I don't think the market/gene pool needs to be clogged with a bunch of mongrel snakes, beautiful they may be. Eventually someone gets a hybrid, doesn't know it, breeds it to a "normal", and now the gene pool is polluted. It happens with subspecies all the time, like brown anoles, tiger salamanders, garter snakes, etc.

16. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

Wow! I didn't know there was all of that going on with snakes! My girls are rather against designer pets. Their professor/veterinarian always tells them the worst thing that can happen to a species is to become popular or be "designer" because it causes a lot of health problems, and also attitude problems depending on which genes are inherited. I think some are so cool looking though, although I could never afford to own one. What kind of humidity and temperatures would have to be used with some of these mixes? What physiological problems occur? What other kinds of problems can occur? Does anybody know, I haven't researched this, as I didn't realize it was a possibility for balls and others. I do have a jungle-carpet x diamond, is that considered a designer snake as the two would not encounter each other in the wild? So many questions, so little time!

17. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That's the other reason I'm against it. Who knows what kind of health problems will arise when you combine two species so drastically different in size. Granted, dog breeds are the same way, that's how new breeds are made. Still, there's no sense in creating a "disease prone" breed when you don't need to. And of course there's the question, "which habitat do you use for the snake?". On the upside, at least the hybridizing of such snakes isn't done on a massive scale, and with the price tag they come with, they should go to people who know how to take care of them.

18. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

This is really the first time i had ever heard about it in snakes unless you take into consideration the ETB and Amazon tree boas which i dont know that that counts.

I would think caring for them would cause problems... er... be very much trial and error. They are not a natural species so their requirements would not be known and it would be best guess judgment... Kinda unfair to the snake.

Either way, no doubt they are beautiful snakes.

19. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

I have the same feelings about them, they are pretty and fascinating because of the unknown... I hope someone that has a hybrid replies to this to give us a little bit of an understanding about their care and health issues... I would love some first hand info... Pythons are my "area of intrest" so I just cant learn enough... Even IF it is a subject I really dont approve of....

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not exactly the best analogy, since all dog breeds are the same species just different packaging! With snakes they are mixing up different species. But I understand where you are coming from.
    I, myself, am not a big fan of the idea of hybridizing for exactly the reasons stated. Who knows what problems you may be creating. There are more than enough species in the world for people to keep and learn from without crossbreeds that may pollute the captive gene pool. There may come a time when a species goes extinct in the wild and the only specimens of a given species left in existance are those in captivity.
    I would hate to think that the only specimens left to reintroduce into the wild were genetic mongrels.

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.
    My two cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.