This Disappears When Logged In

Husbandry of captive reptiles dissertation questionnaire

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Stephanie Davies, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Stephanie Davies

Stephanie Davies New Member

Hi, my name is Stephanie Davies. I am currently undertaking BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare at Hartpury College (UWE). For my dissertation, I'm looking at the public perception of the husbandry of captive reptiles, and I need the participation of both reptile owners, and non - reptile owners. I would be very grateful if you could take a few minutes to complete it for me. It would be a great help. Many thanks smile1.gif .
    Here's the link to the questionnaire:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HZ36KB8

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

@Stephanie Davies I was going to take your survey except some of those questions can't be answered correctly. "Reptiles" is very broad. Some enclosures do need to be above 40 C (104 F) while certain species do not require temps that high. You have several questions like that. I had to stop taking the survey because I would be right and wrong on certain questions depending upon which species we were discussing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. CWdragon

CWdragon Member

I took the survey. I agree with Rich.
    These questions are questions that vary greatly by species. A suggestion is if you want to keep the data questions the same, add a place for people to add their species of animals. Then they can base all the same kinds of reptiles together and create collected TRUE data. I'd also suggest having a box to add suggestions if people feel to do so.

These are the questionable questions that can depend on what kind of reptile.

8. Part of the reptile's enclosure should not have any heat source available.
    This depends on the species of reptiles and climate someone lives in.

9.The temperature in the reptile's enclosure should not exceed 40 degrees Celsius. This depends on the species of reptiles or the stage of growth.

10. UVB lighting is required for the uptake of Vitamin D3.
    The statement is true, but not all reptiles require an UVB light

15. Fine sawdust should be used as a substrate for reptiles.
    This depends on the species of reptiles

16. Humidity in the reptile's enclosure should be 50%.
    This depends on the species of reptiles. Some need dry environments and others like water dragons need high humidity.

24. The handling of reptiles increases their body temperature, due to stress.
    This depends on the species of reptiles. Most chameleons are nervous creatures, where other species enjoy human interaction

I would like to thank you for caring about reptiles and wanting to improve the knowledge about the requirements to truly care for them. I wished when I bought my Chinese Water dragon from Petco, that they had educated me on what was involved in his care. After many, many, many hours on great forums like herp center, I've gleaned much needed knowledge from seasoned reptile owners.

Thank you for caring about all of our little friends!

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t think it`s about giving "right" or "wrong" answers, and the specific questions on whether the temp needs to be above/below 40c can be stated as between strongly agreed or disagreed with as can the other quite broad questions such as using UVB lighting.
    UVB exposure (real or artificial) is NOT necessarily needed for the process of maintaining D3 levels in some reptiles, so if I were answering I would strongly disagree.