This Disappears When Logged In

Hunting For Eastern Tiger Salamander

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by billrogers, Feb 20, 2016.

1. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

I've been trying to find an eastern tiger for a few years. I had an Arizona tiger for a pet for about 5 years when I was younger, and she is still one my favorite pets Iv'e kept. Any tips from those who have experience on how to find one? I have a small creek that runs through some woods by my house. I have found lots of other species, but I have never seen a tiger. Do they prefer a wetland habitat?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

The fact that you have been looking g for years and still haven't found this species indicates that their wild populations could be declining. You should not remove a specimen from the wild to keep as a pet.
    You need to check your local laws and see if it is even legal for you to remove them from their habitat.
    You may not think removing one is a big deal, but you aren't removing just one animal, you are consequently removing any offspring this salamander may have. That is a huge disservice to an animal who's numbers are declining.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Have you checked in a classifieds area like Kingsnake or Fauna?

4. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been scouring every inch on my property, I actually haven't spent much time close to the creek (poison ivy and coyote territory). I know that if I found one I would have to decide whether to leave it to help the local population or to keep it. However, I think that our property is just not a good habitat for this particular species' needs.

As far as I am aware, a CB individual should be healthier than a WC specimen anyway.

No I haven't. Can you recommend a reputable dealer?

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Depending on where you live these guys may be protected. So collecting them from the wild is a bad idea! New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania list them as endangered.
    Often the larvae are used as fishing bait so you might check with bait houses

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Last one I came across was under a railroad tie buried quite deeply. Depending on surface conditions they may also all be underground.

7. cbbrown

cbbrown Active Member

Whether or not you feel your property is appropriate for a habitat is beside the point. if they are there then they feel its home. I rescued a eastern tiger salamander from some bad people who were going to fatten it up and then feed it to their snake. I traded some chores for it since that is legal in my state but cant pay money for them. I called the local dfr about the tiger salamander they said it was too late to return it to it's home and said I could get a fishing license and that way its like I picked it up and kept it which is legal in my state at least it use to be I don't know about now.