This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity/Temp Device Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'Electricity/Wiring' started by Amirra, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Amirra

Amirra Elite Member

I went to walmart to pick up a few things for a new enclosure I'm furnishing for my crested gecko. And I found this:

Acu-Rite 00613 Indoor Humidity Monitor with Temperature

Its under 8$ at walmart and runs on one AA battery.

Can I stick one of these in the middle of each 40 gal breeders enclosure that I own and would it be reliable? My issue is that I know its meant for a whole room or office room, but I thought that if it was encased in the tank with water bowls and the heat lamps, etc near it, then those influences would be enough for this device to read reliable numbers back to me.

The cool thing about it is that it monitors the high and low of humidity and temp, so there is no need for me to have two per tank, which is cost efficient.

Let me know what you all think please. I have not unwrapped them yet because I want to be sure with some outside advice of what I should do.

Thank you for your time:)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They work fine. I have several myself.
    But you do need to realize that the remote probe only registers the temperature. The humidity register is in the main body of the device so it has to be in the enclosure as well to read humidity.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Put the device inside the tank at one end, and the probe at the other or under the basking spot... wherever needed. You'll get a cool end reading with humidity and a warm end temp reading. I have had that in my frog enclosure close to 2 years and its doing great, with wet frogs perching on it and everything.

4. Amirra

Amirra Elite Member

oh that is go great! I can move along then with my plans! Thanks for your replies :)