This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity problems

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Amirra, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amirra

Amirra Elite Member

I need to keep at least 70%-90% humidity at all times in my 20 gallon long all glass cage with screen top. i have a 100 watt ceramit heat emitter on top of screen for the high heat that the tokays need, but its very quickly drying out all the bark that i mist vigorously. the humidity drops from 70 to almos 40 overnight.

i dont have much room for more stuff, unless i can mix the bark substrate i already have with moss or something, what am i going to do?

i have this humidity control device pump thingy as well, so i might think about using that, does anyone have any tricks to keeping humidity in cage?

i heard about the glass on half the cage screen to keep the humidity from escaping too, but i still think i need some inner humidity source...

2. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Try getting the humidity in the room up to maybe 50% with a humidifier and you can also try putting aluminum foil on the screen top around the CHE to trap humidity without starting a fire. I'd say your CHE is a bit high on the wattage for the size of the tank. I use a 60 watt on a 40 breeder and I can keep the entire thing warm enough for BPs with that and a UTH. Since you have such a high wattage CHE and I doubt you want to go buy another one try making it so that it is a bit further away from the screen top while still maintaining the temps you want. Yeah I know it's annoying because it takes a long time to fiddle with it but you will get it right eventually. You can also add a rheostat to the CHE to turn it down a bit if you can't get it away from the screen. The humidity in my apt is a HUGE problem at the moment so I can sympathsize even though none of my animals need excessive humidity.

3. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

i got a tip for just this situation. Get a very thin piece of plexiglass and use it to cover part of the screen lid. and just periodically mist the tank. It works really well.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How are the temps in the tank. I think (like Heather) that a 100 watt CHE might be a bit much for a 20 gallon tank. You might see if you can find a shallow pan or dish that willl sit in one end(about 1/3 of the floor space of the tank. Fill it with damp sphagnum moss and then cover it with bark. That will let you have a very damp area to raise the humidity without turning the entire bottom of the tank into a swamp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.