This Disappears When Logged In

humidity problems, any ideas

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by schlegelbagel, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I spray in the morning, by the time i get home from work, the humidity has gone from 95% to 45%. Way too dry for the frogs. I know my substrate is wet, since its been draining through. I know its because its winter since I didn't have these problems in the summer. The heat is on. The built in humidity system is at 50% which is the max setting. I have a heat element and a light bulb, without both it doesn't get warm enough. The temps are around 81 at the top and 70 at the bottom. I don't have the finances for a fancy misting system. :(

Any ideas you have, please let me know.

Here are photos.

The vents on the sides are covered up with plastic. You can see a dish of water on the ground, but there is also a dish up top near the heat element.
    [​IMG]

Here is the top. You can see where plexi is. Its pretty much where the one light and the heat element is not. The heat element is in the little dome. I have the light taped all around to keep the humidity and heat in. Pretty much the only gap at the top is around the heat element.
    [​IMG]

And Grace says hello.
    [​IMG]

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: humidity problems, any ideas?

one suggestion would be to get a humidifier like the kind you use if you are sick and put it in the room with the frogs. You might even be able to put it on a timer so it runs for like 15 minutes every hour... or an hour on 2 hour off, type thing. I also think that as long as the ground is moist and you have the pools of water that they can get in, they should be fine. If they get to dry they usually know enough to go for a soak or will bury down in the moist dirt...

3. schlegelbagel

yeah, they are often soaking in the "hot tub" under the light. Its funny, I can tell when they have soaked in it, because they are SO WARM. I've done a thermometer in it a few times, and its usually around 80 degrees. Lucky frogs!

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You could get a cheap-o humidifier from a second hand store and try to make some method to pipe it into the cage through a side vet, just make sure you get a cool mister rather than a hot one so you don't steam them if you go that route.

5. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

sometimes big apple herp and lllreptiles have awesome deals on foggers... occasionally petco has them on sale too! OR you can always try amazon.com... thats where I get most of my herp supplies... and they are fairly cheap... Hope that helps any

6. schlegelbagel

I thought foggers were more for looks than humidity? Lacey, thats an idea. I have a spare cool mist humidifier in the basement.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Your main problem has to be the humidity is escaping. I built a monitor enclosure last weekend and it's well sealed. The humidty stays at 75 percent for three days. How sealed are your doors is there a gap where they contact the cabinet? If so you can fill the space with weatherstripping.

8. schlegelbagel

i'm sure there is a gap at the doors! I'll get some weather stripping this weekend and maybe that will help. Thanks Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.