This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity Issues

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Sangheili, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Sangheili

Sangheili Well-Known Member

I own a RTB and a Ball Python, both having the same issues.

I'm having a hard time keeping the humidity up in their cages, even with daily misting and adding moss.
    I've heard of people putting wood across the top, with holes cut for the lights and heat sources.
    I use a ceramic heat emitter for both snakes and I want to cover the screen top with something, but my dad is worried that wood would catch on fire and plastic would melt. We don't have any tools to cut glass with, so that's a bummer.

Bobo, the RTB has good sheds so far, no dry stuff. My BP however, has issues with getting all the shed off in one piece and I usually have to go in and take the eye caps off manually :c

Anyone have any advice for me?
    Pictures of your enclosures would be absolutely AMAZING and I would be very thankful if you posted some <3

Thank you!

2. target1911

target1911 Well-Known Member

What are you using to measures the temps and humidity with?....dial or digital? What substrate are you using? Pics of your enclosures would help the rest of us to help you.

3. target1911

target1911 Well-Known Member

At one time I used the dials. I found out they can be very inaccurate. I placed my new acurite digital ($12 at Walmart) next to my dial .....the dial read 30% and the digital read 66%. That is a huge difference that can be unhealthy.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is exactly how mine is. You should have the che in a dome and then the dome can sit right in the hole in the wood. As long as the wood is not touching the emitter itself, it is fine. Custom Glass Tank Lid

5. Sangheili

Sangheili Well-Known Member

Ah, thank you Merlin! :3
    When my dad gets home from India, I'll ask him to cut some wood for my cages.
    I've got fir bark substrate, a ceramic heat emitter, and a LOT of moss in there so it keeps in the moisture.
    I'm going to go today and get some digital readers from wal-mart, I just have some dials right now.