This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity Control

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by cwd52, Dec 1, 2009.

1. cwd52

cwd52 Member

Hi All, I'm in the process of building a new viv for my water dragon. Living area will be 5'hx6'lx3'd.
    Does anybody have any idea how I can control a humidifier.
    I purchased a small house type from walmart. I guess I need a humidistat or some kind of humidity controller that I can plug or wire directly to the humidifier.
    Any suggestions what I could use or where I could get something. Has anybody used the Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity & Temperature Controller? If so would this be something I could use?
    Thanks, Steve

2. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

I use a double timer on mine. As I don't like dealing with the mold that mine cause if it was to run 100% of the time, I run it 2 times a day. From 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and then again at 7:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Still causes me to watch for the mold growth but not quite as much. Of course I am dealing with an Iguana cage, not a water dragon cage. But the timer is something to consider..

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What Lloydene said. Start out running it twice a day for a few hours and adjust as needed. A very simple light/appliance timer is all you need.

4. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

I've got the ZooMed Hygrotherm on my Iggy enclosure - it seems to work pretty well so far (hasn't even been running for a week yet though). The sensor is up near the basking area and the 160W Megaray dries the air out so fast that I can't get the daytime humidity up past 55%, but at night it gets up to my set point of 65% no problem.
    Time will tell if I start getting mold problems, though.

5. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

I only use the 100 watt mega ray, so it isn't quite as strong as the 160, but I don't worry about the humidity problem during the day. It seems that I heard somewhere that in the tropical areas that the sun tends to burn off some of the humidity as the day goes on.. So from this information I tend to provide mine with their humidity mostly at night while they sleep and then again in the early morning before lights come on and slows down as the lights have been on a couple of hours..

6. Squint

Squint Well-Known Member

All of the humidifiers I've used (other than the ones that broke down after 2 weeks and were returned) had humidistats so no external controller was necessary.

7. cwd52

cwd52 Member

What type of humidifier are you presently using Squint?

8. Squint

Squint Well-Known Member

I've used various Hunter humidifiers over the years but have used a model 34200 in recent years. I have a reverse osmosis filter for my fish so I use water that's basically as pure as distilled water so there are no mineral or scale deposits in the humidifier or enclosure. That's a problem that plagues all attempts to create humidity.