This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity Control Questions

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Khronik, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Khronik

Khronik Active Member

Trying to maintain humidity for a BRB.

Using a 15 gallon tank.
    Originally had ecoearth substrate, few pieces of cork bark(?), and all but 1/8inch of the screen covered with tin foil. Humidity was dropping between 70-60%. Put sphagnum moss on top of everything and humidity held around 85% but the bark started to grow mold I believe.

Cleaned the tank out and sanitized. New eco earth put in, did not put the bark back in, put sphagnum moss over the substrate, added a larger waterbowl over the edge of undertank heater and covered all but an inch of the screen(long) with several layers of cling wrap. Humidity is inconsistent from 80-60%. Moss appears to dry out overnight.

1: Does ecoearth pull moisture out of the moss?
    2: Any suggestions?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

In my experience, Sphagnum moss dries out unless it is actually sitting in water.

Am I correct in assuming you have a hinged screen lid? If so, don't forget that air and humidity will seep out the hinge crack in the middle of the lid.

Try using a deeper layer of eco-earth. I prefer an inch or more in the cages I use it in.

Make sure there are enclosed hides, as they will maintain a high humidity within the hide, where the snake spends much of it's time.

Fluffy white mold will "run it's course" so to speak, and will simply disappear after a while. It's annoying, but as far as I know, essentially harmless. I'd worry more about black mold, or a strongly moldy smell developing, indicating a TON of mold was present.

You will need a much bigger cage soon.

3. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Agreed with Jen, ventilation at the top of the cage allows warm humid air to escape. Less is better. I have a specific humidity care sheet on my website.

Care Sheets

4. Khronik

Khronik Active Member

The screen lid is a one piece.
    Stacked about 4 layers of cling wrap and duct taped around the edges.

Currently we have 1-2 inches of ecoearth but had been using about 4-5 inches until this weeks cleaning.

Hides done.

Larger cage soon to come, will be building it from pvc im thinking.
    Guessing around 7Lx3Wx2-3H unless a more vertical cage would be beneficial?
    Our BRB likes to climb and sometimes sits at the top of the cage between the screen and lip of the tank(have weights on the screen its not going anywhere) but ive read babies tend to climb occasionaly where adults spend almost their entire life on the ground.

When I get closer to building I will dig in deeper on that.

Thank you for your care sheets those are very helpful, had only seen one of those on your site previously

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'd try to find something better than weights for the lid. A persistent or determined boa can be a strong animal. On that note the "cage clips" they make for screen lids are worthless for snakes. OK for geckos or other animals that aren't as strong.

Many members here like to use strong velcro, and have great luck with it.

My Rainbow has done no real climbing in a few years, though she did some when she was younger. I'd have to agree that they tend to outgrow it, based on my own experience.