This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity and Moldy Wood

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Dragoness, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have had a problem lately with real wood and mold in my humid enclosures.

My BRB has no real wood in her enclosure, so this does not apply to her.

The problem is with my JCP and Indo Tree Boa enclosures, both of which have real wood branches. Both snakes require moderate humidity, but allowing even moderate humidity results in visible mold, or a mildewy smell in the enclosure, despite any adjustments to ventilation, or frequency of cleaning.

The Indo Tree Boa is currently housed in a plastic bin, with paper towel substrate (which is changed every day or two at most) and despite cleaning the enclosure, branch, etc, a mildewy smell persists. There is ventilation holes drilled in the side of the enclosure.

The JCP is in his new digs, with indoor-outdoor carpet for substrate, and has one twisted vine he climbs on. This morning, it was coated in white fuzz, even though it was cleaned with bleach and hot water when I acquired it a few weeks ago, and his carpet was just cleaned with bleach and hot water the day before, and replaced.

I like having real wood in the enclosures, but if it's going to mold on me, I may just do everything fake.... any suggestions?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Let the mold run its course. It will quit after time and the white pillowy stuff isn't harmful. I let it run its course in the frogs tanks. It only lasts a few weeks, then goes away to never return.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Blech, lol. I know that not all molds are harmful, and this was a white poofy fuzz. But it was all over the branch, not just in one place. And it did smell mildewy.

I was wondering if I just needed more ventilation, but then I risk being unable to maintain adequate humidity in some of the enclosures...

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

yes, its a ventilation thing. Its a give and take.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Something you might try is to take the branch and soak it in salt water for a couple of weeks. This will leach out a lot of the organics that are feeding the mold. I used to do this to "manufacture" driftwood for my freshwater aquariums.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The only problem with that is that this branch fits neatly in the bath tub, and I only have one bath tub. The branch is something like 40 inches long.

Will saltwater make wood sink faster? I am trying to get my old dried-out driftwood to sink for my turtle aquarium. It doesn't look bad floating, but I would prefer if it sank, lol.

7. Merlin

Soaking it in saltwater won't make it sink any faster. You just have to submerge it and weigh it down.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It's been submerged (and weighed down) since May. Still waiting I guess.

9. Merlin

It STILL won't sink after 6 months!!!!!!!
    Has it been sealed with something?
    I did stumps 8-9 inches in diameter in far less than that!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

No - it's wild driftwood I found years ago, it was sunk then, and lived in my aquarium until about 3 years ago (when I moved) Just got it out in May, and have been trying to re-sink it ever since.

11. Ravyn

Ravyn Well-Known Member

You could always silicone the driftwood to a piece of slate and bury the slate in the substrate.