This Disappears When Logged In

Humidity & Activity Questions

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Haven Lapin, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Haven Lapin

Haven Lapin Member

I've read from a few sources the ideal humidity for ball pythons is 50%-60%. Mine rests at 70% naturally, without me misting or doing anything, in a glass viv with a mesh top. Do I need to work on lowering it, or is it not a big deal? (If so, how do I lower it?)

Also, I've heard that activity in ball pythons can be a sign of stress. My baby sleeps in one of his hides all day, but at night he's very active and often pushes up against his ceiling. If I open it a crack, he'll come out on his own and explore my room (carefully supervised, of course), and he doesn't seem to mind being held or curling up around my neck. I've been handling him nightly just because he makes such a fuss climbing all around lol. (It's worth noting that he isn't really comfortable around anyone except me, probably because he's familiar with my scent - I had my brother hold him while I cleaned is viv, and he stayed curled in a ball the whole time.) Is this normal behavior? This may be a little neurotic but I just want what's best for him ;w; thank you!

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

What type of device are you measuring the humidity with? Unless your environment is supporting the 70%, I would be surprised a mesh top enclosure is holding that much humidity consistently. If it is truly that high, air flow and a few other things should help bring it down.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

While 70% is on the high side for ball pythons, it's not really a big issue, I try and keep mine above 60% all the time anyway. However, as mentioned above, I suspect that your device is not reading correctly. There is no way to get that much humidity with any sort of mesh top unless the entire room is that humid, which most humans would find uncomfortable. What are you using to measure humidity and how old is the device? I have had digital gauges go bad after a couple years in high humidity enclosures, and the readings can go in either direction when they have issues. Analog gauges tend to come out of the package with issues.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

70% should be ok (as mentioned above if its accurate) but if you want to lower it there are things you can do, like having a smaller size water dish and putting it on the cold side (make sure it's big enough to soak in) or changing the substrate to something that doesn't hold humidity.
    Activity by itself isn't a sign of stress... not sure where that comes from. Especially if your python is young I would say that level of activity indicates a healthy animal. But please send enclosure pics and pics of your python so we can make sure. Is he a good eater?

5. Haven Lapin

Haven Lapin Member

I am using an analog gauge, which is probably the issue even though it's brand new, rip. What sort of digital gauges would you guys recommend, for temperature as well?

I've had him for a little more than a week so I've only fed him once, but he ate no problem (though he was a little shy about it, but he's gotten much more relaxed overall since then).
    Here's his enclosure! He's of course got heat underneath one of his hides, and he usually has a little log in the middle too, but I recently washed everything so it's out drying right now.

Attached Files:

6. AmityReptiles

What is the enclosure size in relation to the snake? You need to let him acclimate to his new environment for a week, otherwise he will be very stressed and you will have problems. Don't mess with him at all during this time. No feeding, handling etc.

7. Haven Lapin

Haven Lapin Member

Alfie is about 3 feet long (fully grown male) and he's in a 20 gallon tank, I'm hoping to upgrade it when I can. And yeah, I must've got him on the 29th of last month and I let him alone for the first week so he's acclimated now!

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, there`s no time limit for acclimation, it takes as long as it takes! If you don`t have anything to accurately measure the humidity, how are you measuring the temps? You need to cover the screen as completely as possible to stabilise the internal conditions (kitchen foil will work temporarily).

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The analogs are trash. They are horribly inaccurate. Go to the hardware store in the garden section and get a good digital with a remote probe. Most of us use the acurite brand.

Darkbird likes this.
  10. Haven Lapin

Haven Lapin Member

I have 2 little analog thermometers, one for temperature and one for humidity. They're both attached to this little thing and they came together, so probably neither of them are accurate. My snake seems to be happy - he's not exhibiting any abnormal behaviors, he alternates between hides, takes his food, sleeps in the day and is active at night - so they must be somewhat in the correct range, but thank you guys for telling me that analog ones are unreliable!

thanks so much! that's really helpful, so would something like this be okay?
    Digital Thermometer with 10-foot Temperature Sensor | AcuRite
    Also, do I need two to measure the hot and cool sides, or could I just keep it on the cool side and check the hot side occasionally?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes it looks o.k, you can buy one and move it around the enclosure, but it`s nice to have a spare if you can buy two!

12. AmityReptiles

I use an IR gun for temps. Always have one handy, $15 on amazon, it's very convenient because I can measure temps anywhere in the enclosure in a few seconds.
    If you have heat under one of the hides do you have a thermostat to regulate it?

13. Haven Lapin

Haven Lapin Member

I don't, I adopted him from someone who gave me all of his supplies. Originally it was just a ZooMed heating pad pressed right up against the glass, I'm surprised he hadn't hurt himself! so I went on the ZooMed website and got some of their Eco Carpet to put over it as well as put more substrate on top, like the website suggested. I'll definitely look in to an IR gun since it seems like it would be much better for checking the temperature of the substrate above his heating pad.

14. AmityReptiles

Personally I like to keep the thermostats on the hot side, if you have stable ambient temps in the room the cold side temp won't change much. But as said an IR gun would make temps easier to check.
    I check humidity on the cooler area. (Away from the water dish of course.)

15. AmityReptiles

Yeah you pretty much HAVE to set up a thermostat with a heating pad. If you dont its super dangerous, those things are incredibly unsafe. Even if you cover it, it's like putting a little fire right up against your glass, and whatever it's sitting on. If you don't have a thermostat to regulate it I recommend switching to a heat lamp until then.

16. Haven Lapin

Haven Lapin Member

oh Ill buy one right away, thanks for telling me!!

rochelle lindsey likes this.
  17. Haven Lapin

Haven Lapin Member

Just bought a thing that regulates the heating pad's temperature as well as an infrared gun, they should be here in a few days!

18. AmityReptiles

Sweet. Well done :) don't forget the hygrometer so you can get a good read on the humidity. I know there's alot involved!

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is the temperature unit I use
    Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer with Probe | AcuRite

It displays 2 temps at once. One from the probe and one from the base unit. The probe goes on the hot spot and the base can go in the cool end.
    There are also units which measure humidity as well.

20. Rossi1975

Rossi1975 Member

Ball pythons sleep during day an hunt at night in wild perfectly normal