This Disappears When Logged In

Humidistat

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by DragonsKeepers, Jul 12, 2012.

1. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

I have a warm humidifier with PVC piped into my water dragon enclosure. I have a dial on the front which adjusts the amount of humidity and a timer for turning it off intermittently throughout the night. What I really want is a humidistat to keep the humidity between 60-80%. I have seen this combo set on Amazon and in a pet store, but wanted to know if anyone else has used something (hopefully a little cheaper) to control humidity. Amazon.com: Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller: Pet Supplies

Thanks for any help!

2. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Yeah I use that one on my water dragon. It's not super accurate - button is a bit cheap and might need to be pressed hard. But on the positive side the one I have is relatively STABLE if not accurate. So with a independent high quality hygrometer, I can sort of play with the zoomed hygrotherm until the quality hygrometer gives desired reading.

I have noticed it taking a long while to kick on - like humidity can drop as much as 5% before it kicks in. But or the cost I'm happy enough with it.

Perhaps I should note that the humidity ranges I'm using are mid50s-60% (acceptable for a Aussie water dragon) - so I can't attest to much higher humidity stability. Cheap hygros certainly often have increased inaccurate when tending toward very high or very low humidity.

3. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

My only concern is that with my warm air humidifier, it takes about ten minutes to warm up, so I don't want it to turn on and off all the time. I currently leave it on all day and it keeps about 55% on the hot side and up to 75% on the cool side. At night it is off except for an hour. It keeps fairly even with that setup...in was just looking for a little better control over it. I keep the humidifier at about 40% output to keep the humidity just right. At 100%, it fogs the whole entire enclosure within about five minutes.

4. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Did you end up getting this? If so, like it?