This Disappears When Logged In

Humidifiers?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Microscope Jockey, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Do you use humidifiers? If so what kind? I am using two Reli-On humidfiers at the moment, which produce warm moisture, and I can keep my apt. around 50-60% humidity even though it's about 30% outside. I have them for me and the herps since low winter humidity does very bad things to my sinuses and about half my reptiles prefer at least 50% humidity. I was just curious about what other people were using and any recommendations they might have. Thanks :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use the Holmes cool air humidifier. My only complaint about it is when it is running full tilt there is a fogginess to the air and a white residue that gets on things.

3. Microscope Jockey

That sounds like disolved minerals in your tap water maybe? What level of humidity does it maintain?

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

You are talking about humidity in your apartment and not directly in your enclosures right?

But from what I have read about the 'room' humidifiers is that the walgreen's sunbeam brand one is by far the best.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I figured it was the minerals and at the rate it kicks water out it would break me to go out and keep buying distilled!
    I have no trouble getting the humidity up as high as 50-60%+
    If I leave it going full tilt it will put so much moisture in the air you get a definate swamp atmosphere to the apt!

Of course in cold weather then you end up with a layer of ice on the window and can't see out of it!

6. Microscope Jockey

chronicfatigue- most of my enclosures have screen tops so they are greatly affected by the humidity in the apt. since they are all heated, which is why I put the overall humidity up plus I don't have any truely arid animals and I just make sure the geckos and the bullsnake are not "swampy" and uncomfortable. I also vary humidity in individual cages by messing with the ventilation and size of water dish and whether or not I put the dish on the heat source or not. The BP cage is kind of a challenge because my grandfather made me a solid wood nested lid for it. I'm no good at humidity so I don't have a BRB or a blood python.....yet ;)

7. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

I ran into the problem of too much humidity in one room and I had mold running rampant in the closet. Better air circulation is the key I think...with a warm air humidifier I can keep the humididty at almost 65%. The room is 8'x8', during the winter I keep it at 85-90 during the day, I use a small space heater (ceramic) for that and my Wd enclosure has a 100W spot light in it.

Anyone know of any other thing to get and keep the humidity up? I know it should be higner than it is but am at a loss to what else can be done. I was thinking moss? draped from the top of the enclosure?

Take care,
    thanks
    Chris

8. Microscope Jockey

Maybe try the wet towel on the lid trick?

9. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

The wet towel worked somewhat, raised it by about 10%. I think I'm going to get some moss to soak and drape inside the enclosure. Thanks!

Take care,
    Chris

10. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

i know its old but ill post anyways i used a plexiglass piece the same size of my tank drilled 8 holes into it and put tht on and the my screen top over it and the humidity jumped from 67% to 93% in the matter of about 1 1/2 hours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.