This Disappears When Logged In

humidifier

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by TheGreenMan, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekknoschtev

tekknoschtev Member

No, this one is a cool mist ultrasonic humidifier. It cost me a whopping $8 at a resale shop, but new I've seen them go for anywhere between $25 and $40 depending on brand and tank size.

The first one I bought from the thrift store actually had that problem - everything inside of the machine was covered in a hard layer of mineral deposits, which at some point had caused something to fail. I've only been using reverse osmosis deionized water for this one.

And to answer the earlier question about hard plumbing and having the humidifier externally mounted - here's some photos of yesterdays project:

[​IMG]

While the humidifier was capable of pushing the mist up from the floor, it works better if its closer to the exit, so I built a little shelf on the side of the enclosure for it.

[​IMG]

A quick hole drilled with the hole saw while the ig was in the bath made a clean hole for the exit port. I have since attached a screen mesh material over the port so that the iguana, in one of her rowdy fits doesn't decide to attempt escape and actually succeed.

[​IMG]

And here's the cage engulfed in a light fog. I did find the drawback stated earlier about the mister lowering the temperature, but in the enclosed environment, its not too dramatic of a change - now if there were more screened areas or any place a draft could come through it'd be much worse as evaporative cooling would take place.

I also find that running the humidifier for 4-5 hours a day in 30 minute intervals doesn't do enough to keep the humidity elevated in the enclosure - of course her being in the same room as a forced air furnace which doesn't have a humidifier attached keeps the humidity down - and its low in the entire house. To combat that, I'm also going to be implementing a misting system for supplemental humidity increases.

2. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Well she certainly looks as though she enjoys it! I'm sure you realize this, but you'll want to make sure to let the enclosure completely dry between mistings in order to avoid mold growth.

For Gil, I use a warm mist humidifier, placed on the floor of his enclosure (for those that don't know, his home is 8x8x3). I put the humidifier on the floor when he's settled for the night (just before light's out), it comes on at 11:00 pm and turns off at 6:00 am. It's removed from the enclosure before his morning bath. No misting during the day (I leave the house around 7 and don't return until about 5:00, which is just about lights-out). This seems to work very well and I've been told this is close to what occurs in the wild.

3. tekknoschtev

tekknoschtev Member

Thanks. Yes, the timer is set to run every hour and a half for 30 minutes for a total of 4.5 hours during the day. At night the humidifier is off. I've never timed how long the humidifier could run continuously, but it seems like it could run much longer and achieve some better results.

I'll also have to look into the misting at night only. Do you have anything I can read into about that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.